Two rainy days


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisboa
April 7th 2018
Published: April 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Friday, pouring rain, what's a household to do? Let's get an Uber and go to lunch. Our first stop was a place called Time Out Market, a huge food court in the Baixa area, filled with lots of fancy restaurants' satellite food stalls. Rows and rows of tall wooden tables with people wandering around looking for somewhere to lite. Ceramic dishes, wine glasses, and real cutlery...ooo la la!

Braving the rain, Glen, Karen, Mike, and I, in another Uber, headed out for coffee at A Brasileira in Chiado. This old fashioned coffee house was loud and crowded. Fun place to sip our cappuccinos and people watch. When the rain died down, the four of us left to explore the neighborhood. Beautiful churches, a delicious pastry shop, cool stores, then a stroll thru an indoor mall kept us amused while we waited for the rain to stop. With the sun starting to pop in and out, we set off again. This time, on foot, to the commercial plaza (Praca do Comercio), Mike decided on an ale in the dry Museum of Beer while the rest of us wandered up the avenue. We even learned about the sidewalk mosaics and what each pattern meant to each neighborhood. Another Uber to get home where dinner consisted of charcuterie and cheese. Did I mention the wine and laughter? Lots and lots of both.

Saturday, some rain but not nearly as much as Friday. Today was the day to get our transit cards and learn about how to manage the public transportation system. Now, this didn't include actually taking any public transportation, but if it did, we were ready! Mike and I then walked to a very popular restaurant who's specialty is shellfish, Ramiro's. We met a lovely couple from Poland, Marta and Oskar, while waiting on line. They were on holiday and told us about some terrific places to see in Portugal. After 35 minutes, we were escorted to the upstairs dining room where we were seated...right next to our new BFF's! The food was amazing. Who knew there were so many varieties of giant shrimp things? Our meal ended in selfies, Facebook friending, and hugs. Nice.

For the rest of the afternoon, Mike and I just wandered all over the lower city. Coffee here, then a random wine tasting there. We visited a canned fish store where we purchased more delicious sardines and a funny tool to open the cans. Home again with Glen and Karen, the group decided to cook in: Pasta with peas/mushrooms/prosciutto, and salad. Our days have been full.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



8th April 2018

Great Fun!
Really loving the stories and pictures of The Jani Chronicles! Keep ‘em coming!?????
8th April 2018

Love the second blog!
Rainy days can be lovely!! Glad you're having fun and no wasted moments!!! :)

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb