A long day


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Central » Foz do Arelho
April 5th 2017
Published: April 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

4th April

The tablet changed the name to Montenegro, it’s Monte in case you’re looking. I set the alarm for 7am & we’d have been away for 9.30am except the that electricity hook up box was locked – I asked a chap from the site who was nearby & off he went, not to return. Had to go to reception..

Set the Dyson for Barcelos & away for 9.20am. Dropped into a massive Supermarche on the way. We couldn’t find the local one but looking for it gave us a view of enormous Atlantic breakers coming in. Cathy got very excited when we saw a huge ceramics factory but it was dilapidated...& into Barcelos. I should have known better but ended up ‘threading the needle’ through a couple streets rammed with parked cars. We didn’t see one ceramic shop...hee hee! On to Bom Jesus.

We saw a car park at the bottom of a hill but didn’t realise this was for the funicular railway ( or vernacular railway as Cathy mistakenly said to our joint amusement) up to BJM. We drove up a pretty road with hairpins to another car park & paid this chap €10 to park. €10!! He couldn’t speak English so we had a chat in French. He said yes, it’s expensive but it was a 24 hour ticket; that’s alright then. BJM is worth seeing though & dates back to the 18th century. We had a chat with a Canadian couple who wanted their picture taken & they took ours, a rare shot.

It was now 24* & Billy was like an oven. Set the Dyson to include toll roads now & off we went. Despite a couple of errors (!) it was fine but it was a long leg, well over 200 miles. Having bought the electronic tickets we were only zapped twice, the rest were ticket machines & €36 cash! No doubt there’ll be more zapping further south or we’ll have to try for a refund!

We arrived in Foz do Arelho & for some reason went to the wrong site...it was right on the beach & there were around 20 campers but parked as if in a car park, which it basically was. The lady on reception said it was only €4 a night but no electricity...which also meant cold showers. Whilst we can heat water in Billy & have a shower we decided it wasn’t for us especially when we realised we were 2 miles away from the one we were looking for. Thanked the lady who gave me directions for the correct place & I suggested she visit the €10 car park at BJM...

Arrived & set up for 6pm so it had been a long day & we’re the only ones here again. Forecast is 25* for tomorrow...


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



5th April 2017

Toll Charges
Hi David, Just to say no UK registered cars bother with the auto tolls as the Portuguese authorities have to apply through the DVLA to get the owners UK address in order to send a fine. They have to pay a fee to do this and it doesn't guarantee that the fine will be paid, so they don't bother. Ask other camper owners for their advise, but nobody here pays the toll charges? Dave Griff
5th April 2017

Thank you!
I wasn't going to worry about it because I tried...but good to know!

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb