Terceira - The 3rd Largest Island in the Azores (August 7 - 23, 2012)


Advertisement
Europe » Portugal » Azores » Terceira
August 28th 2012
Published: August 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had an enjoyable sail, however rainy in the beginning, from Sao Jorge to Terceira in the company of two other boats (Takari and Caitlin of Argyll) that we have gotten to know while in the Azores. This gave us yet another opportunity to have some photo sessions while sailing. The island of Terceira (which means third in Portuguese) was the third Azorean island to be discovered and is the thi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 82, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Volcanic Origins Are Obvious HereVolcanic Origins Are Obvious Here
Volcanic Origins Are Obvious Here

Looking around the area we could see the volcanic origins of the region from the mountains behind to the caldeira we were visiting.
Walk Around the PerimeterWalk Around the Perimeter
Walk Around the Perimeter

Here they provided a boardwalk around the perimeter of the caldeira to walk around.
Fuming Continues HereFuming Continues Here
Fuming Continues Here

We also visited a caldeira where the vents were still “fuming” and we were treated to the lovely smell of rotten eggs when the wind was right.
Vent OpeningVent Opening
Vent Opening

This is the opening vent of the volcano as seen from down in the cave.
Hairnets Anyone?Hairnets Anyone?
Hairnets Anyone?

Before going down in the cave we had to put on these lovely hair nets and then hard hats on top of them. Bob thought with his “haircut” he wouldn’t need the net, but figured he’d use it anyway!
Modeling the Hard HatModeling the Hard Hat
Modeling the Hard Hat

With the hard ceilings it was good to have a hard hat on just in case.
Mark and JenniferMark and Jennifer
Mark and Jennifer

Thhanks again to Mark & Jennifer for asking us to join them for the day!
Bogs Can Be BeautifulBogs Can Be Beautiful
Bogs Can Be Beautiful

The area outside the lava tube cave was beautiful and lined with cedar trees and had a bog in the center of this caldeira.
Angra MusuemAngra Musuem
Angra Musuem

The Angra Musuem is housed in what had been the Convent of Sao Francisco which was the headquarters of the Franciscan Order of the Azores.
Court YardCourt Yard
Court Yard

The convent was built around a central courtyard that you can see here letting light in.
Part of the Musuem NowPart of the Musuem Now
Part of the Musuem Now

Our Lady of Guia (Our Lady of Guidance) was built between 1666-1672 and is open for view as it is in the Convent that houses the museum.
Tile WorkTile Work
Tile Work

We didn't realize that we would see so much of the blue and white tile work as we do here in the Azores. The church has quite a few excellent examples.
GardensGardens
Gardens

In front of the musuem there is a beautiful formal garden that is well maintained.
Doors, Handles & TilesDoors, Handles & Tiles
Doors, Handles & Tiles

A few shots of doorways and door handles – such a variety we see and are impressed with. The building in the center on the top row is covered with the blue and white tile that you can see a small sample of. Tiles are used very creatively as a building material here.
Surviving 4 EarthquakesSurviving 4 Earthquakes
Surviving 4 Earthquakes

Igreja Matriz is located in Praia Da Vitoria and was founded in 1456 and consecrated in 1517. It was partly destroyed by earthquakes in 1614, 1810, 1841 and 1980, but was rebuilt each time by the generosity of the people of this area.
New Friends from marinaNew Friends from marina
New Friends from marina

We had lots of fun getting to know Brian and Dorothy on Cailtin of Argyll - let's hope we run into them again!
Flowers EverywhereFlowers Everywhere
Flowers Everywhere

A few of the many flowers that we have seen on the island. Some we have seen before such as the morning glories and the yellow flower in the middle we had in our yard in Botswana.
Artwork at the ConventArtwork at the Convent
Artwork at the Convent

Just a few examples of the various types of artwork found in the Igreja De Sao Goncalo (nunnery and church) which include tile, paintings, sculptures and woodworking.
Separating the NunsSeparating the Nuns
Separating the Nuns

This shows the various methods used to keep the nuns separated from the outside world – they could not touch or be touched by anyone outside of the nunnery therefore the use of bars to keep them separated.



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb