Terceira - The 3rd Largest Island in the Azores (August 7 - 23, 2012)


Advertisement
Europe » Portugal » Azores » Terceira
August 28th 2012
Published: August 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had an enjoyable sail, however rainy in the beginning, from Sao Jorge to Terceira in the company of two other boats (Takari and Caitlin of Argyll) that we have gotten to know while in the Azores. This gave us yet another opportunity to have some photo sessions while sailing. The island of Terceira (which means third in Portuguese) was the third Azorean island to be discovered and is the thi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 82, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

How About Breakfast?How About Breakfast?
How About Breakfast?

We enjoy stopping to have a café com lait (coffee with milk) with a pastry occasionally.
Town HallTown Hall
Town Hall

The town hall was built in the 19th century and is said to boost the largest most magnificent great halls in all of Portugal.
One of the HikesOne of the Hikes
One of the Hikes

One of the official trails on the island starts close by the marina therefore took an afternoon to hike around Monte Brasil.
View from the hikeView from the hike
View from the hike

While on the hike we were provided with a great view looking over the harbor where we could see the marina and the fort that was built on the other side of the harbor to help protect it.
Anti- Aircraft EmplacementsAnti- Aircraft Emplacements
Anti- Aircraft Emplacements

These are anti-aircraft gun emplacements that had been put in on Monte Brasil during the WWII.
Signal HillSignal Hill
Signal Hill

The lookout post located at the top was built between 1567 and 1588 to watch for approaching ships. With improvements it became known as semaphore post as it balloons and flags were used from here to warn others of the details about approaching ships.
Volcanic OriginsVolcanic Origins
Volcanic Origins

You can clearly see that the formation of Monte Brasil was volcanic when you see the caldeira on the other side. They have used it as a bull ring and a military training location at various times.
Tall Straight CedarsTall Straight Cedars
Tall Straight Cedars

On the walk up Monte Brasil you could see very straight cedars – these are protected in the park, but you can see why these were forested for use in making masts.
Tunnel to Where?Tunnel to Where?
Tunnel to Where?

A mystery – we saw this tunnel which looks quite long in the side of the hill – where does it go??? Our guess is that it is connected somewhere to the fort, but we don’t know for sure.
Guard HouseGuard House
Guard House

At least the guard was given some shade to stand in this guard house.
500 Year Celebration500 Year Celebration
500 Year Celebration

This monument on Monte Brasil commemorates the 500 years since the discovery of the Azores in 1432.
View of the CityView of the City
View of the City

The town of Angra do Heroismo is spread out in all directions but as you can see has a large amount of green space in the middle remaining. On the back hill you can see the obvious signs of housing developments.
A Great Messsage in Any LanguageA Great Messsage in Any Language
A Great Messsage in Any Language

Near the monument marking the 500th year discovery of the Azores we found this post – the message is written in English, Portuguese and Asian characters – not sure which country. Not sure of the history of it being placed here, but found it interesting and a good message.
Church inside the Fort WallsChurch inside the Fort Walls
Church inside the Fort Walls

Inside the fort walls the Sao Joao Baptista Church was built shortly after the Restoration.
The Entrance GateThe Entrance Gate
The Entrance Gate

You must walk through the gateway at the beginning of your hike to the top of Monte Brasil. We found you could drive to the top as well, but enjoyed the hike instead as we saw more of the area traveling by foot.
Walls are FormidableWalls are Formidable
Walls are Formidable

The walls of the fortress are quite formidable and in very good condition as you can see here.
Beach is Well UsedBeach is Well Used
Beach is Well Used

The beach located right at the base of the hill from town is well used every day. It is handy to town and the marina as well.
Green SpaceGreen Space
Green Space

We are happy to see that places are set aside for green space throughout the towns.
More Wind EnergyMore Wind Energy
More Wind Energy

Fortunately we have seen wind generators on all of the islands in the Azores. We also are happy to see they all recycle as well.
A Better ViewA Better View
A Better View

We got a better view of the “named” rocks when on a bus ride to Praia da Vitoria which is a town on the east end of the island.
Irrigation UsedIrrigation Used
Irrigation Used

Much of this island is used for agricultural purposes and we noticed that irrigation was widely used in some areas.



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb