R and R Day


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve
July 22nd 2013
Published: July 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cave tour by boat

We toured the Atlantic coast today on a boat owned by a Ajax native Paul Santos. He retired here 18 years ago after a career in downtown Toronto at CIBC.

Mystery solvedMystery solvedMystery solved

And the mysterious fruit is....actually not a fruit. It's the passion flower. Starts off green then goes orange and finally blossoms into the passion flower. First prize goes to my (Nigel's) mom who correctly identified the plant. She wins my respect and admiration (which she already had so I'll have to invent an alternate prize).
Today we decided to not venture too far, and to swim and relax. After swimming and some brunch, we headed into town to see if there were any boat rides "on offer" but expecting to maybe book something for another day as it was already 1:00. We were lucky enough to find a boat tour with space left on the 2:30 sailing! After talking with the very friendly tour operator for a while, he noticed Russell's t-shirt (Whitby soccer club) and he says, "Oh, I used to live in"....wait for it....wait for it....."Ajax". Turns out he was born in Portugal and grew up there but moved to Scarborough as a youth, settled eventually in Ajax on Rotherglen Road (1 street east of where we live). When his kids were about 13 and 15, they moved to Portugal and have stayed since. His kids did go back to Canada for university and have stayed though. Seriously small world. He coached with Ajax soccer club for years and both he and his son played in the Robbie tourney many times. His son also played varsity for Waterloo and was apparently a young soccer prodigy in Durham region years ago (he is now 32).
Rachel on the boardwalkRachel on the boardwalkRachel on the boardwalk

The marina at Portimao. Long wide boardwalk full of cafes, restaurants, boat tour operators and sculptures in marble. Oh yeah, and 4-5 popcorn vendors - go figure.
His name was Paul and his son's Michael Santos. Paul worked at CIBC for a bunch of years (King & Bay) before retiring to Portugal to buy a tour boat.

The boat ride was really run! We went along the coast (of the Atlantic Ocean) and went up close to many caves carved out of the cliffs. One was called the Cathedral and another was the Pirate Cave. We saw many secluded beaches (boat access only) and eventually they stopped the boat for some swimming. Most passengers dove off the boat and swam around in the warm ocean water. Then they eventually pulled up anchor and headed back. On the way back we were served Sangria, beer, wine, juice or pop. A very pleasant way to spend the afternoon!

Back home for more swimming and some dinner. Russell and I are now watching France v Denmark Quarter final in the Womens Euro 2013 (Denmark is currently up 1-0).



Scroll down for more photos. Click any photo to see a larger image.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Giant seabirdGiant seabird
Giant seabird

You see these guys all over. They build giant 4' nests on absolutely any tall pole. Could be a tree or a telephone pole. Or in this case, an industrial chimney.
Arrrrrhhhh!Arrrrrhhhh!
Arrrrrhhhh!

Pirate ship heading out to plunder and pillage.
Castle in FerragudaCastle in Ferraguda
Castle in Ferraguda

If you look really closely you can see video cameras painted the same tan colour as the walls, to blend in.
Entrance to the cathedral caveEntrance to the cathedral cave
Entrance to the cathedral cave

The boat went under this overhang to enter the grotto.
Stairway to villageStairway to village
Stairway to village

You would be fit if you lived here and went down to the beach 1-2 times a day.
Hello!Hello!
Hello!

There's people on the inside of this cave.
Mini cave.Mini cave.
Mini cave.

Pirates hid treasure here. Promise to split it with me and I'll tell you exactly where this cave is.


23rd July 2013
Mini cave.

I was wondering if he was related to or knew Debbie Santos \'s father .........he was from Portugal and lived in south Ajax............what a coincidence....................really enjoying the blogs thanks
23rd July 2013
Mini cave.

Santos
Apparently Santos is like Smith...I did ask and he laughed and said he was not related and did not know of the family.
23rd July 2013

Looks like paradise!
Portugal is as beautiful as I imagined. Hope you're having a wonderful time in the sun and sea - the pictures look awesome. What a small world finding a boat tour operator from Ajax!!! Wish we were there!
26th July 2013

This blog makes me wish I'd be on vacation with you all!!! Not faire, I have to work :-(
It looks like you are having fun. We are too, following you all through this blog. Well done!

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb