Sagres and Salema


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Sagres
July 23rd 2013
Published: July 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Sagres

We visited the south western most part of Portugal today.

This morning was another beautiful day, big surprise! We headed off to the southwestern most point of Portugal to a town called Sagres. This town is famous for its Fortress (called Forteleza de Sagres) built in the 15th century. We walked around the interior perimeter of the fortress (at least 2km around the edges of the cliffs) with endless lookouts both to the south and the west. Luckily for me, they were safely fenced off and I felt relatively comfortable. The cliffs were unbelievable - about 150 feet high. There were local people (actual people) perched on the edges of these cliffs around the fortress fishing with super long poles. It was absolutely terrifying just watching them. I can't imagine if one were to actually get a fish on the line and them not falling in! They are literally right on the edge of the cliff! Seriously! There will be a picture below.

Next stop was the next beach we happened upon which was in a little seaside town called Salema. Quaint little village with some hotels/resorts, and a lovely beach. We stayed here for a couple of hours and enjoyed the water, some paddle ball, and some lunch. One
Sagres coastlineSagres coastlineSagres coastline

Where the west coat of Portugal meets the south coast.
weird thing was once Nigel and the kids got out of the ocean, they felt as if they were being bitten by tiny invisible bugs but couldn't see anything. Then they thought maybe it was just the feeling of the salt drying on them? Who knows. Anyways, it stopped after a minute. Then we drove the less traveled roads back home (we managed to pick up another bag of fresh naranjas (oranges) which we have been going through quickly).

Finally back home for a swim and dinner. Then we finally enjoyed some of our home spa luxuries and had a jacuzzi followed by a rain shower.



Click images to enlarge. Scroll for more photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Danger seekerDanger seeker
Danger seeker

This particular guy was in a relatively safe spot. Other fisherman climbed partway down the cliff-face and clung to rocks as they fished. Crazy.
Sagres coastlineSagres coastline
Sagres coastline

South coast of Portugal.
Look out belowLook out below
Look out below

A view looking straight down from the fortress walls into the Atlantic.
Priar SalemaPriar Salema
Priar Salema

The beach at Salema.


23rd July 2013

Danger Seeker!
I guess Nigel must have taken that picture - it was too close to the edge for Lori! Wow - very steep!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb