Faro, capital of Algarve, small but incredibly enjoyable!


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Faro
April 25th 2012
Published: January 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

From Rouen to Faro


Faro is a typical town of the south of Europe. A lot of buildings are white, with cobblestone streets. The center is really lovely, a lot of shops, but the way the marketplace is turn, it's really enjoyable in walk in!

You arrive to the marina, a large place, with storks which build their nests on street lamp or buildings,

Then, you have the historical center, surrounded by high ramparts. Inside you have a lot of old white buildings, it's gorgeous, but unfortunately it's not maintained at all...Some buildings are in poor conditions...

But when you arrive to the main place, it's wonderful, with a lot of orange trees and it's very clean.You have several statues, and the main building, a church that you can visit, with the bones chapels behind who were build with the bones of old monks. It's 3€ to "visit", in fact, it's just see and leave...

You have several exits, once is particulary nice, and lead you to the sea, with a giant compass made in mosaic on the floor. From here, you can take a boat and pass the day on the desert island, it's the point the most to the south of Portugal. It's a natural island without buildings, only beaches and special flowers or birds on it, it's wonderful! It cost 10€ to go there, but it worth it !

There are few parks into the city, small, but really clean, and maintained with animals like peacock in liberty, or parakeets in cage. A lot of trees and palm trees.

If you want to go to the restaurants...just go !! It's incredibly cheap ! You can eat first course with course and drink for 4€ in certain towns of Portugal. If you want to eat in Faro, I really recommend you "Mr Frango", for 12€ you have an aperitif with olives, sardine rillettes, butter and bread (in Portugal, normally, if you want bread, you have to pay an extra), next for course, an entire chicken, with a lot of rices, salads, chips, and a delicious wine in carafe (french speek 😉 ).

Next to the marina, you have the coach station, from here you can take buses for other cities in algarve, or even to Lisbon or Porto. That's what we did ! A coach for Lisbon, it's around 15€ to go there.

Enjoy !


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb