Quick Glimpses from Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland
September 8th 2006
Published: September 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

While we have experienced many wonderful times this week, it's also fun to share some of the things we have observed as we have traveled to our job site, walked the city streets and shopped around the Market Square. Here are a few of our observations:

1) Lots of 80's music playing everywhere, from Madonna to soundtracks from Dirty Dancing and Flashdance.
2) Many long narrow fields of cabbage, soon ready to harvest.
3) Mercedes taxis, buses, cars everywhere, along with the traditional small European vehicles (Fiats).
4) Chocolate bars of every kind - dark chocolate, chocolate with cherries, chocolate with strawberries, and the list goes on...
5) Strong beers - 7.1% alcohol and more.
6) Vodka on virtually every menu with multiple varieties.
7) Laundry hanging on clotheslines - Most Polish do not have clothes dryers so the laundry is hung from windows, and clothelines, something we rarely see in our country any longer.
8) Brick homes in the country, often with colorful tile roofs.
9) Farmers markets with gorgeous flowers of every variety, and abundant vegetables and fruits.
10) Shops that close at 6:00 p.m. most nights and earlier on weekends.
11) Amber jewelry everywhere - rings, necklaces, earrings, etc.
12) Pictures of Pope John Paul II - He originated from Krakow.
13) A beautiful Market Square which is the heart of the city with outdoor cafes, flowers, shops and tourists!
14) Brightly colored (extreme) dyed red hair on many women.
15) Pigeons in the Market Square - At last count, Krakow's pigeons are outnumbered only by St. Mark's Square in Venice.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb