Jelly Soup, Bigos and lots more.....


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Pomerania » Gdansk
April 13th 2006
Published: April 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is the second time I'm writing this page. The first one, just as I'd finished, I did something to delete it. Ugghhhh!!!!
Anyways won't write that regualary now as the same routine is to be followed everyday. get up at 6:30am, go for excercise. there are meetings the whole day and chores and melas are fitted in between. Meetings are the center poinr of MONAR. if anyone has a problem or needs to discuss or if someone is fighting the the bell is rung and the whole group meets. even if its in the middle of the night or at meal time you leave whatever you are doing and come and discuiss it and help sort it out. its quite a nice system but I haven't been woken up in the night till now.
Yesterday we met all the therapists amd the boys who had recently finished therapy. they will still be attached to the house for some time but they live outside in the town. they call it hostel. the boys were alot of fun and we had quite a few laughs. mostly when trying to understand each other.
Today I will got to town with Onur and a patrient's mother from austraila .she speaks english. and 2 hostels boys will show us arund the old city. Its
'Gdansk glowny' pronounced 'GOOVNA'. meaning main center. and its supposed to be one of the prettiest places in Poland.
Here they pronounce names differenlty. Like Michaael is 'MIHAU' and Adam is 'AADAAM'. they also have some names I've never herad before like 'KAMIL' pornounced 'Cameel' and 'Rishu' and 'Zeega;. and some names not pronouncable by me and it makes them laugh when I say it. also the way they pronounce my name 'Naleenee' OR 'lalanee'. Hahah!
Today got a mail form my dad asking about the food I'm eating. can't believe I haven't mentioned that..
Breakfats- bread: they have this 'gutli' and also slice bread with cheese or jam or chicken ham. and with plain tea along. I like the breakfasts. but today there was something in jars, turns out its fat and onions. yuck!!! wasn't brave enough to try it. They jokeingly said that they eat it when everything else is over and they are still hungry.

Lunch- is nice. Its soup with fench beans and vegetables like potatos, carrots etc. yummy. and yesterday I had a traditional Polish dish called 'BIGOS' which is cabbage and onions with sausage and some masala. tatses something like 'goa saussages. quite nice, with bread.

Dinner- Gets wierder everyday. Normally bread and cheese. Yesterday was 'Jelly soup' . Is berry flavoured jelly which is hot and watery with pasta in it. it sweet and is pink in colour. I didn't like it and had to force it down. Onur couldn't go through with it. then there was chilcken lunch and meat and i thought it tasted like pork.the boys were laughing because 'Its chicken and she says it tastes like pork'. I didn't like either so had bread and they gave me some blue cheese with herbs.

My family would love the food out here especially my mom. its here taste. I'm liking it too, They eat soo lightly. BUt I'm not complaing. could do with a break from the heavy Indian food!!

Otherwise everything is fine. before lunch we will take our first english class. everyone is waiting eagerly tp learn english. and then we will go to the city.
If I feel like it I'll blog tomorrow or else after easter to report what I did. Easter is a big thing. they dye egss, get different food ,go to church,. what fun!!!

Things I learnt the past days:

- Getting up at 6:30am can be refreshing and help you start the day better.

- If the meal is Pink soup with pasta in it,....eat something else!!!

Advertisement



19th April 2006

cold, hah :P
hey you! read your last entry as well...and +7 isn't that cold :P Well, it should be a lot warmer now but spring is like one month late in large parts of Europe...at least what I've heard...blegh..I want summer! I'm actually going to Gdansk for 3 days in August... too bad you're not there then :( Write me when you have the time!!! Love always, Elli

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb