First Full Day in Warsaw


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Masovia » Warsaw
July 1st 2012
Published: July 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After sleeping in until 9:30 AM, having breakfast and getting ready for the day, we boarded a local bus and headed for the Warsaw Uprising Museum. We arrived at the museum around 12:00 PM and did not leave until 3:45-4 PM. This was a wonderful museum that told the story of Germany’s attack of Poland, in general, and Warsaw, specifically. Importantly, it highlighted the Warsaw uprising against Germany in 1944. This uprising was led by the People’s Army, but also included local civilians and members of the London Underground. Despite their efforts, the German military level Warsaw and the Poland High Command was forced to sign the capitulation treaty on the 2ndof October 1944. Poland would not regain their independence until 1991.

After leaving the museum, we took the local bus back to the Polish regional restaurant. For our late lunch/early dinner we sampled regional smoked meats and regional cheese, which was another wonderful meal. However, while eating a strong storm rolled in with heavy rain, wind and hail. We moved in from the patio and into the small bakery and met some wonderful people who are visiting from Sweden – two were from Poland originally and the third was from, in his words, “planet Earth.”

We are now preparing for the UEFA EURO 2012 final between Spain and Italy. Crowds appear split between Spanish and Italian supporters; therefore, it will be a game-time decision as to whom we will support.

We will be departing Warsaw for Krakow, Poland tomorrow around noon. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of my pictures, but I have yet to download any from my camera. All pictures uploaded have been taken with my phone.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



1st July 2012

Beginning days of trip
So enjoyed some history and pictures. Great to see storm picture at the bakery. Happy to view the pictures. Hope you can get some of the people. Great 4th here.

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb