The Collegium Maius, 2nd oldest university in Central Europe.


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
March 28th 2005
Published: March 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Collegium MaiusCollegium MaiusCollegium Maius

The courtyard from the second floor balcony.
Collegium Maius

There is the old saying that “blind pigs find acorns sometimes.” We were walking around the old city on the Planty with no particular destination in mind. We were just seeing what we could see. About three-quarters around Nancy said, “My feet hurt. Let’s go back to the square.” That was fine with me as my feet hurt also. We had been walking since early morning and now it was about six in the evening. We turned to our right and walked along one of the narrow streets leading back to Market Square. As we walked we saw an open entrance in a very old building. Looking inside we saw a courtyard.

“Let’s go in,” I said. I didn’t see any sign indicating we would not be welcome.

“Fine with me,” Nancy replied.

Inside we discovered we had entered the Collegium Maius which is a part of the Jagiellonian University, the oldest university building in Poland, the second oldest in Central Europe. The university was begun during the reign of King Wladyslaw Jagiello in 1400. He began the university at the request of Queen Jadwiga’s request. She must have been
Collegium MaiusCollegium MaiusCollegium Maius

Looking west across the courtyard at ground level.
a forward-looking lady. The buildings that surround the courtyard create a fascinating scene. The Library, you know we are always interested in libraries, was built in 1515-1519 and still serves as a library. Think of how many professors and students have studied there over the past five centuries. Copernicus and Pope John Paul II are graduates of this very school.

Inside the visitor center we watched a film on the history of the university. Fortunately English subtitles scrolled across the bottom of the screen. What a long history and what distinguished professors and students they have had over the centuries. As with many academic institutions of its age (and there are almost none by the way) it has suffered its ups and downs. The various periods of Enlightment and Darkness that have swept over Europe have all had their effects on the courses, faculty, facilities etc. The most recent ‘dark ages’ have been the Nazi occupation and the Communist Era. Almost the entire faculty of the school was sent off to a concentration camp by the Nazis. Since this was one of the most distinguished universities in the world, public opinion world-wide forced their return. However, in the mean time, a number of the faculty died because of the terrible treatment in even a short period of expulsion. The entire Communist Era put a big damper on intellectual life in Poland and the school suffered terribly. It has had a major renewal in the past few years. The school is ever expanding and in recent years the medical sciences have been expanded greatly with new facilities and laboratories. This is truly a major world influencing university.

Enjoy the pictures.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Collegium MaiusCollegium Maius
Collegium Maius

One of several beautiful doors.
Collegium MaiusCollegium Maius
Collegium Maius

Another beautiful doorway.
Collegium MaiusCollegium Maius
Collegium Maius

Another beautiful doorway.
Collegium MaiusCollegium Maius
Collegium Maius

Beautiful ironwork.
Collegium MaiusCollegium Maius
Collegium Maius

I am happy to say that we were feeling much better than this fellow.
Collegium MaiusCollegium Maius
Collegium Maius

A dragon rain spout.
Collegium MaiusCollegium Maius
Collegium Maius

A sick man rain spout.


Tot: 0.527s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 160; dbt: 0.2809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb