Last day of May


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
May 31st 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We decided to sleep in a LOT and then made our way to the Wawel Castle to see the Cathedral inside as well as the Smocza Jama, which legend has it, a dragon used to live in there. At the Cathedral, we climbed up to the bell tower, known as Dzwon Zygmunta). There, the bell, put up by King Zygmunt Stary) symbolizes the glory and strength of the Polish nation and the strength of its people. As we were listening in on the kid's field trip there, legend has it that you touch the bell and make a wish and it will come true. The tour guide spoke of one time someone wished for a puppy, and they got it after this, so they all got excited and mad-rushed the bell. Once they cleared out, Iza and I made ours as well. We then went to another part of the castle to see and touch the Chakra Stone, which according to Hindu has healing, protective and positive energy. There are supposedly only 7 of these stones in the world, and this is one of the explanations for why Krakow wasn't completely destroyed by WWII.
We were then beginning to get hungry, which we had the Polish version of a crepe (except different) called Naleśniki, one with cottage chese and raisins, and the other with fruit. We then went down the the dragons cave, and once we excited we went shopping at the mall and at Sukiennice, which was the market in the Old Town Square.
After I finished buying lots of Polish goodies, we traveled over to Iza's aunt's house, Ciccia Danka, where we had some fabulous food, turkey made in some delicious way that we couldn't figure out, a vegetable medley, and potato poofs (I have no idea how she did it...)
Here I proceeded to learn that both salt and sugar were white death, but the woman was very spunky and we had a good time there.
After making our way back, we opted for relax and ice cream (as usual...) as we knew we had travel to Warsaw the next day (always an energy drainer...)


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

All the KidsAll the Kids
All the Kids

They all wanted a puppy it seems
The Black Currant JuiceThe Black Currant Juice
The Black Currant Juice

a staple in our Polish diet
My Polish ScarfMy Polish Scarf
My Polish Scarf

I love it!
Those yummy cheese things! Those yummy cheese things!
Those yummy cheese things!

otherwise known as Oscypek
Ciccia DankaCiccia Danka
Ciccia Danka

what a spunky lil' woman


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb