Biking Around Kraków


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
May 30th 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This morning we woke up at went straight into town. We went to St. Francis's Church (in Polish, Święty Franciszek) to see a very colorful church. From here we proceeded to the office of the late John Paul II, where you can see the wind from which he gave speeches. Outside of the window, there was a sort of a park, with a piece of artwork known as Angels Underneath the Window (reference the pictures). John Paul II was very important for Poland as he was Polish after all. There were also types of shrines where Polish people would leave lit candles. As in the US you would leave flowers, for example, at a tombstone, to honor or to signify that it is something of importance, in Poland they use candles. We defintely saw a good amount of candles near this window and the garden. We went back to the town Square at proceeded to enter into St. Mary's Church. Afterwhich, we rented some bikes, and found ourselves something to eat. We ate zapiekanki, which was a type of baguette filled with meat and some other goodness. It was good, so good that we ate off it all day. It was too much for either of us to finish... We hoped on our bikes and biked around what used to be the city walls. It was pretty much transformed into a park with lots of little paths, covered by trees, so we had a peaceful cool ride. We rode around the Wawel Castle and the River Wisła. We then went to the Jewish district known as Kazimierz, where we proceeded to get more coffee and juice in a cafe near the Old Synagoge.
On our route we ran into some Krakowiacy, which are traditional Polish band members, who were playing some delightful music.
We made our way to Karmelicka street to get some ice cream, which Iza's fell on the ground. nonetheless, the ice cream was good (don't worry, I shared half of mine 😊
We then met up with Maurycy (or Mauro for short and to make the pronunciation easier for me), Iza's god-sister's boyfriend. The three of us went to a very cute lil' cafe (more coffee) which was covered in flowers. We walked back to the Castle and actually went inside to the courtyard. Once he left, as he had a friend's wedding to attend, Iza and I went back to the hostel to get ready for the Chopin and Mozart concert that was at the St. Peter and Paul Church (Kościoł Św. Piotra i Pawła), afterwhich we went back to the Old Town Square to enjoy some of that street food which had such an enticing aroma. We dined on some kiełbasa sausage, pickles, kapusta (a type of cabbage), young potatoes, pork somehow pan fried, and kasza (which we figured out was buckwheat, but there was ground meat and deliciousness mixed in). After some more walking around, and some going out, we opted for some ice cream and some juice, and went back to catch up on everything we had missed from our semesters of study abroad apart.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

zapiekanki zapiekanki
zapiekanki

all the pictures with food have Iza in them... who knows why! :)
aw best friends!aw best friends!
aw best friends!

in front of Teatr Juluisza Słowackiego
still eating that...still eating that...
still eating that...

...all day long we were able to eat that...
Ice cream...Ice cream...
Ice cream...

before it fell to the ground
looking like touristslooking like tourists
looking like tourists

...even though Iza is a polish expert...
the beautiful gardensthe beautiful gardens
the beautiful gardens

that now replace the city walls
OscypekOscypek
Oscypek

A type of cheese that is grilled up and served with cranberry sauce... delish!


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb