Auschwitz/Birkenau and Krakow


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Auschwitz
October 29th 2010
Published: October 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Internet trouble at the apartment all week so couldn't post our pictures from our weekend trip last week to Auschwitz/Birkenau and Krakow. I'm so glad I got to see it. The pictures pretty much speak for themselves. Got through the school week fine. Took an overnight train last night after school and got to Amsterdam this morning!!! The city is beautiful. We've already taken a canal tour and walked around tons and we ate some delicious pancakes. Will post those pictures after we go back to Poland on Sunday night/Monday morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 95, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

AuschwitzAuschwitz
Auschwitz

The largest German concentration camp operating from 1940-1945. 70,000 people died here.
Entrance to AuschwitzEntrance to Auschwitz
Entrance to Auschwitz

"Arbeit Macht Frei" it means "work makes you free"
OrchestraOrchestra
Orchestra

An orchestra plays so the people could march and easily be counted by the guards
AuschwitzAuschwitz
Auschwitz

With Birkenau, it was the largest concentration camp and had people from all over Europe
People exiting the train and arriving at Auschwitz. People exiting the train and arriving at Auschwitz.
People exiting the train and arriving at Auschwitz.

Our guide said that, depending on how far they were coming from, could be on the train for up to 8 days with no food or water.
Empty cans of Zyclon BEmpty cans of Zyclon B
Empty cans of Zyclon B

The pellets that were dumped in the gas chambers that were disguised as showers
This picture doesn't come close to showing just how many shoes were in that display case. This picture doesn't come close to showing just how many shoes were in that display case.
This picture doesn't come close to showing just how many shoes were in that display case.

There was another display that was just as big that held hair that was shaved off of all the women after they were killed. They used the hair to make blankets and clothes.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb