Castles & Museums


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
July 28th 2014
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 59.9138, 10.7387

We have been very lucky so far with the weather. Thunderstorms were forecast for the last 2 days but both days have been sunny and warm.

First stop of the day was the Akershus Castle which is located in the center of town inside the fortifications. It was originally built as a medieval fortified castle around 1300. It's purpose was to defend Oslo. During the 17th century it was rebuilt in Renaissance style and surrounded by the fortress. This was during the reign if Danish-Norwegian king Christian IV. Now it houses the presentation rooms of the Norwegian government.

Also within the fortifications was the Resistance Museum which showed the role and actions of the resistance during the German occupation of Norway which began April 9, 1940. The occupation was facilitated by the Norwegian Nazi-party leader Vidkuan Quisling who became prime minister in a coup d'état on the same day.

Then back to the ferry to Bogdoy. The Holocaust museum was our first stop. The Jewish population in Norway was not large but once the German came the Jews suffered the same consequences as those elsewhere. It is difficult to comprehend the inhumanity of the time. Fortunately some escaped to Sweden which was neutral at the time. The rest were sent to work camps and extermination in Germany and Poland.

Close to the ferry in Bogdoy was the Maritime museum which traces the maritime tradition of the Norwegians from the time of the Vikings through to present day. Much of the museum consisted of a display of models of ships over time.

Our final museum had displays of the two ships used in expeditions to the north and south. Poles. Pictures an displays described the hardships and the ingenuity of these explorers who risked their lives to explore these areas. The exploration of the Northwest Passage was particularly interesting considering the fact that with global warning this passage will likely become a major shipping route saving 40% of the distance from Europe to Asia.

It is impressive to recognize the major contributions of the Norwegians to global exploration.


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb