Oslo - Bygdoy


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
July 27th 2014
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 59.93, 10.8689

Back on transit/subway this morning and into the centre of town. We walked along the waterfront to catch the ferry to Bygdoy which is a peninsula across the harbour. Several museums are located there.

The staff at the hotel recommended that we buy the Oslo Card which we were able to do over wifi and store the passes on our phones. By purchasing this we were able to use the transit and visit the museums with no further charges. It is a good purchase because we were able to get a seniors rate.

First stop of the day was at the Folk Museum which one could probably spend 2-3 days visiting. It is very extensive with older and newer buildings. One could get a good perception of what life was like over the years in Norway.

The "Sami" exhibit was very interesting. They were previously known as the Laplanders. It is thought they they were not aboriginal peoples because they arrived after the original Norwegians. Many of the issues they have dealt with are similar to those with native Canadians. However, it seems that the problems have been resolved in a more democratic and negotiated fashion here. One of the exhibits indicated that members from the "Sami" group have gone to other countries to assist in the transition as well as protecting the rights of the native group.

Next stop was the Viking Museum which had three Viking ships and an interesting commentary on the Viking history. The ships were found buried on several farms in Norway.

Last stop was the Kon Tiki museum. The various boats were on display including the reconstruction of the original boat.

We had hoped to visit the Holocaust Museum but it closed earlier than indicated on the brochure.

Needless to say it was a long day of walking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 90, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



28th July 2014

I wouldn't imagine that you covered all this territory in one day. So much to see. Very interesting.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb