Geiranger - July 4 & 5


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

High Alpine PeaksHigh Alpine PeaksHigh Alpine Peaks

On road to Lom
Drove the Sognefjell Road from Skjolden to Lom on our route to Geiranger. This was Norway's first National Scenic route and is the highest mountain pass in Northern Europe. The road winds its way through the Jotunheimen mountains and in the space of the 1 1/2 hour drive there were huge contrasts - from lush green fjordside villages to roaring waterfalls, mountain farms, majestic alpine peaks, bare mountains, glaciers and fishing lakes and rivers. Made a stop in Lom to see another Stave Church. The road to Geiranger was another curvy one with many hairpin turns, but we made our way down the mountain and got our first sight of the Geiranger Fjord. The Geiranger is probably the most beautiful of the fjords with its steep sheer cliffs and many waterfalls. Don't think we have ever seen so much water as we have in Norway. Arrived at our destination of Hotel Utsikten which is above the village of Geiranger with truly amazing views of the fjord and waterfalls. The views from our room are so breathtaking that it is hard to close the curtains to go to sleep (however we must to rest up for the next days adventure). The Hotel Utiksten dates back to 1893 and has had many famous guests including Kaiser Wilheim II and the King of Siam - now we can be added to the list as King and Queen of Cameron Park.

Woke up the next morning to a misty day but then saw a beautiful rainbow over the cruise ship in the fjord - a great start to our day. We finally had to do some laundry and that was quite a chore as all the machines instructions were in Norwegian. Finally got a little help and got things underway. After this mundane but necessary job we drove back up the mountain to Dalsnibba (a panoramic viewpoint) which is 4,920 feet above sea level. From here there are fantastic views of the surrounding mountainside, the Geirangervein Road winding down the mountain and the Geirangerfjord far below. It was cold, windy and a little rainy but well worth the trip to enjoy the view from so high.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

SkiersSkiers
Skiers

Working out with rollerblades on mountain roads
Geiranger FjordGeiranger Fjord
Geiranger Fjord

How fantastic is this?
Geiranger FjordGeiranger Fjord
Geiranger Fjord

The view through the window from our room at Hotel Utsikten
DalsnibbaDalsnibba
Dalsnibba

View of the Geirangerfjord and the road down from the mountaintop of Dalsnibba
DalsnibbaDalsnibba
Dalsnibba

View of the road to Dalsibba
Hotel UtsiktenHotel Utsikten
Hotel Utsikten

View of our Hotel (white with red roof) as seen from below in the town of Geiranger


8th July 2010

WOW
Photos are beautiful. Looks as if it's pretty cold there although I noticed Warren in shorts one day. What a spectacular place. Keep having fun. We miss you.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb