Nordkapp


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
May 30th 2010
Published: June 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

30 May 2010

One of the objects of this trip is to visit the most northerly accessible point in Europe. However there is some confusion as to where it is. There are two islands on the north coast of Norway, Nordkapp and Nordkinn. One of the guide books we are using thinks Nordkinn is further north and the other Nordkapp. However looking at the map of Scandinavia it seems that Nordkapp is further north, it is also the more popular destination, so that is where we decided to go.

We left Karesuando in sunny weather and crossed into a finger of Finland which reaches westward. Then into the Finnmarksvidda region of Norway, a huge plateau covered with small deciduous tress, dotted with many lakes and lightly populated by the Sami. We stopped at the remote and desolate town of Kauatokeino to admire a local silversmith’s workshop and showroom. The north coast was finally reached at the town of Alta. Then a further 200k northward, much of which was along a beautiful road on the side of the Porsangen fiord, through several tunnels the longest of which was 6.5k, finally reaching the Nordkapp visitor centre at 8.30 pm. 2,850 miles and 18 days since we left home.

We had a quick meal, toured the visitor centre, then admired the eyrie light of the midnight sun which was well above the horizon at this latitude. Along with about twenty other campervans stayed the night in the car park.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb