Art Nouveau in Alesund


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
July 28th 2019
Published: July 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Alesund, Norway

OK….Norway rolls up the streets on Sunday! I mean NOTHING is open. Well, unless you are a tourist store in operation for TOURISTS! Nothing much of a “local” nature. I’m always skeptical of the items one finds in a “tourist store”- are they made locally? Are they made in China? We found one store with some interesting sweaters by Dale of Norway -it took a while to discover that they are both designed and manufactured in Norway. Still didn’t buy anything.

Today is a LONG day in port. We arrived at 8am, and depart at 11pm…when nothing is open! Great planning, no?? Someone goofed up.

We hit the city early knowing that nothing would be open (given our experience in Oslo) – so we figured – take a walk, see what we can and get back on board the ship and treat the day as if it were a sea day (since we haven’t had one of those as of yet…we both LOVE sea days). We walked for a while. Saw what we wanted to see and were done.

Forgot to mention – so remember that yesterday there was that hike from one stop to another? WELL….we have stories from those foolish enough to partake! Evidently is was billed as a four (4) mile hike – when in actuality was over 7 miles. There wasn’t sufficient water for the hikers (guess they should have brought their own…or so the guide thought). It was 80 degrees (YES….80!) – and one poor man spent time in the hospital on board ship because of dehydration! And…that ain’t cheap! Update – he’s doing fine today. But he stayed on board and rested! Poor guy. The hikers we met and discussed the journey were ALL older than the two us. I don’t feel bad though – we just don’t hike. Not. Gonna. Happen.

So upon return to the ship (another 80 degree day) I decided to “hit the gym”. Spent about 90 minutes in the gym – this I know because I listened to one and a half podcasts – which is 90 minutes. This has been a while coming – because the broken foot got in the way!! After my workout, hit the steam room, shower and lunch. Christopher joined me later in the gym and we met up for lunch – salad. YUP. Salad, oh and a strawberry shake for dessert, because….well BECAUSE!

After lunch, we sat in the shade on the pool deck and read. I’m reading a new book The Undergound Railroad (somewhat intense – to say the least). Between reading and people watching we each took a turn in the jacuzzi. Must admit, we were out by the pool for a good long time. The fresh air felt great, and when the breeze came up, which wasn’t often, it was glorious.



Time for a cocktail – so off to the Grand Bar for Happy Hour (well, more like happy half hour) where we each ordered a double martini – again, because we happen to be on vacation! So why not?! What I really wanted was a Scotch – but none of the Single Malts were available for Happy Hour pricing. Harumph!

Dinner tonight: Grand Dining Room - Wine: Round Pond Super Tuscan, we each ordered the same thing Fois Gras appetizer and Prime Rib, neither of us can remember the last time we had prime rib; Christopher thinks it was the last time we were at the Olympic Club with his parents (which had to be over 7 years ago)!! We thoroughly enjoyed the wine and beef. For Dessert I had a Charlotte, Christopher had a chocolate tart- neither of us finished our dessert. I’m not responding well to “sweet” – just too much for me. Guess I’m a salty guy at heart….which isn’t good for the heart!!

OK still brilliant sunshine at 8:30, so we played rummykub on the pool deck until the show started at 9:30. The show was actually pretty good. The singer, Isabel Commandeur, has a gorgeous voice. She just needs to control her breathing….Like I could do what she does. Once a critic, always a critic. Have to admit, she is BY FAR the best talent we’ve seen on Oceania (which is high praise…or not). You be the judge. It is now after 10pm- we left the show when she moved from classical to pop and here I am writing at the desk. Outside the sun is shining and we are still in port. We leave at 11pm tonight. Long Day is Alesund – a beautiful Art Nouveau City.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.42s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb