Ferry Cruise, Train Ride, and Trip on Snow Road


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Sogndal
June 28th 2018
Published: June 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Any Bird Look Familiar?Any Bird Look Familiar?Any Bird Look Familiar?

Perhaps a half hour into the cruise I found this beautiful Bird and thought it a nice picture. Don't you agree?
This post includes a 2.5 hour ferry trip on a fjord, train ride up high and drive from Aurland to Solvern. All this in one post, while Preikestolen alone consumed two posts. Does that give you any sense of the quality of the scenery between them? Oh well, Waterfalls have become a bit old hat and the fjord cruise had one, two or even three around every turn. With that said this is the most beautiful country we have visited. Fjords with the mountains reaching down to the water's edge, waterfalls of all sizes, grassy slopes with sheep sometimes and other times villages hanging on the hillsides. Often running streams with crystal clear water with an occasional person fishing. We think Will and Joe Hulsey would like to fish here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Pastorial SettingPastorial Setting
Pastorial Setting

We frequently see patches of grass whenever the incline is not above forty-five degrees and not because a lawn mower has been employed. These folks bale grass from their back yard. Round bales dot the country and fjord side. Rarely, apart from sheep, do we see what eats the contents, but they surely do.
Access?Access?
Access?

If you are able to discern how the inhabitants of these houses access their homes, your eyes are better than ours.
Okay, Okay but We had to Send This OneOkay, Okay but We had to Send This One
Okay, Okay but We had to Send This One

This waterfall was visible from the top to bottom; often parts go hiding on the way down.
But There Are ThreeBut There Are Three
But There Are Three

Two waterfalls in a row. Please. But actually there are three here. BTW, we are now on the train.
See, a TrainSee, a Train
See, a Train

Should you have disbelieved us, look at the train.
Steep RoadSteep Road
Steep Road

Yes, yes there is a waterfall here (told you they are everywhere), but the reason for the picture is the road. This gal was constructed in the late 19th century, thus no modern equipment.
KjosfossenKjosfossen
Kjosfossen

Last one, we promise, but the train stopped here for the show. Notice the gal in the red dress about half way up. She works about three minutes every hour. Nice gig if you can get it.
StegasteinStegastein
Stegastein

We are sure everyone clearly recalls the point at the top of a mountain above Aurland where we noted we would arrive in a couple of days. Well, we arrived. This is a long diving board with the only water very far below, so folks just walk out and look.
Here Is What They SeeHere Is What They See
Here Is What They See

Yep, who would have guessed, a fjord.
Another Look BackAnother Look Back
Another Look Back

Thought we would again step off the earth and look back. Getting a bit less nervous being out there now.
Snow RoadSnow Road
Snow Road

This moon scape is traversed by the Snow Road. Not plowed in winter, so only available to travelers recently.
Borgund Stave ChurchBorgund Stave Church
Borgund Stave Church

Our second one. This one constructed in 1180, and essentially everything inside is from that date. Yes, they are exceedingly unique, but seen one, seen them all. We are skipping others on our itinerary. Again, we would think from the outside, it could seat a hundred or so. Nope, maybe twenty standing.
Nice DiggsNice Diggs
Nice Diggs

Another nice stop. This is the view off our deck; same one from the breakfast table. Norway is so beautiful, it's easy to become acclimated... unfortunately.


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb