Awe Inspiring


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Preikestolen
June 26th 2018
Published: June 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Not much to say about the pictures that follow except this place took our breath away. The flat rock rises a little under 2,000 feet straight up-have the picture to prove it. Yes, that is a very long way. Looking at the rock with no guard rails you may wonder how many people accidently fell off, well either one or none. There was a double suicide and another person that authorities think was a suicide rather than an accident. Surprised us. Hope you enjoy these as much as we still do. There are many pictures, which we are sure comes as a surprise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

First LookFirst Look
First Look

We round the long turn and see Preikestolen for the first time. Giddy. Bird says not so much giddy as relieved she made it to the top, finally.
FlatFlat
Flat

Here we see it is indeed flat.
Still FlatStill Flat
Still Flat

Again it is flat and some fool on the edge. Rock plunges directly down.
Sister RockSister Rock
Sister Rock

Looking northwest to the next rock formation with fjord below.
FjordFjord
Fjord

Looking southwest at the fjord. Amazing, isn't it, that the stuff we drop in our glass to cool water carved this.
Long Swan DiveLong Swan Dive
Long Swan Dive

We told you we had proof of the almost 2,000 feet drop of Preikestolen. HP lays over the edge to take this (the idiot). Bird, at first, is angry with him but then decides this will save her money on the contract she plans and wonders about giving him a little shove.
Bird's EyeBird's Eye
Bird's Eye

No, not our Bird, but a perspective above the rock seeing the table top flatness with fjord below. Sorry folks, we have four of these and just love them.
Another Bird's Eye ViewAnother Bird's Eye View
Another Bird's Eye View

Little different perspective.
Even Another Bird's EyeEven Another Bird's Eye
Even Another Bird's Eye

Still another perspective.
Final Bird's EyeFinal Bird's Eye
Final Bird's Eye

This is a large flat surface. Walking up, down, and enjoying this amazing feature we heard many, many different languages. Folks come here from everywhere. No surprise to us.
Above PreikestolenAbove Preikestolen
Above Preikestolen

The previous four pictures were taken from various spots along this ridge. Yep, HP free climbed the thing.
View From Over the FjordView From Over the Fjord
View From Over the Fjord

We decided it would be nice to move off the rock, over the fjord to gain a new perspective. Here is one of four pictures, this one resulting in a clear view of the approach to Preikestolen.
Another Fjord ViewAnother Fjord View
Another Fjord View

Slightly different and closer perspective.
Precipitous DropPrecipitous Drop
Precipitous Drop

Allows view of the vertical nature of the rock.
Final View From Over the FjordFinal View From Over the Fjord
Final View From Over the Fjord

We like this picture the most. Yes, the image quality of these four is not quite up to the others, but let's see how steady you are over 2,000 feet in the air!


28th June 2018

Flat Rock
I admire you guys---LOL, I got frightened just looking at the pictures and the height of it---pictures are AWESOME!!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb