Road trip Day


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Lofthus
July 27th 2019
Published: July 27th 2019
Edit Blog Post

On the road fairly early and driving the Volvo for a change as it is diesel, not electric. Very nice car and comfortable. Headed east from Os and ended up taking a "short cut" up one side of the fjord which ended up being basically an extremely windy single lane road with slightly widened corners to allow a car to pass from the other direction. There were several times when we or the opposite car had to reverse in order that we could get past each other. Combine this already tricky situation with being on the edge of a mountain and hanging over the fjord.....That was some difficult driving for over 2 hours of the total drive time. Also, as we were approaching a tunnel (one of about 40 tunnels we drove through which were blasted through the mountain rock and ranged from about 150m to one that measured 7.7km long and believe it or not, had TWO ROUNDABOUTS IN THE MIDDLE OF IT), about 15 cars were stopped ahead of us. We finally figured out that it was because a transport truck had stopped in the middle of this tunnel and had engine trouble. A police car finally came and helped direct the traffic past the truck, one lane at a time. This added about 1/2 hour to our trip. We managed to drive past quite a few "road sheep" which you always have to be on the lookout for here. Along the way, we also drove through a town where the main street trees were all sporting knitted sweaters on their trunks, each one was unique! Our first stop was Voringfossen which is the most famous waterfall in Norway. You drive up the mountain behind the falls and then look down for the best view. It was spectacular but scary. Then we headed over to a town called Lofthus to check out a Cherry Festival. This was a very picturesque little town and quite busy with the festival. Surprisingly, there was only one booth selling cherries! Lots of other booths with various knickknacks (trolls, etc). We drove home on the slightly larger roads which were just as scenic as the roads out and felt much safer. The pictures will not capture how breathtaking the scenery was today but I will include some anyways. That was a real long day of driving and we are all pretty tired out now. Oh yeah, correction from yesterday - the temperature actually hit 33. And today hit 34!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.2317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb