Flam


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Flåm
July 3rd 2016
Published: July 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Lovely drive up from Bergen, lots of scenery -lakes, mountains, pretty villages and waterfalls everywhere. One section of the road after the Stalheim Hotel has 13 tight hairpin bends down to the next river valley.
Put the tent up then took the ferry/ cruise up Naeroyfjord, Narrow Fjord, a UNESCO World heritage site, it's the narrowest in Europe. Really beautiful. Weather managed to stay dry until just as we were docking, then the heavens opened and we were soaked getting the few meters to the bus back to Flam and then from there to the campsite.
The next morning (3rd July ) we took the famous railway journey, Flamsbana, up from Flam to Myrdal. When we had booked the day before there was plenty of space, as we set off on the 10min walk to the station our hearts sank as we saw 2 cruise ships docked. The train was packed, fortunately we found 2 seats together and on the right hand side which we were told was better. Sat opposite a couple from one of the cruise ships, they were good company for the hour's trip.

As the weather was ok we decided to get off at the top, Myrdal, and hike the 22km down. It did rain a bit, of course, but was an easy and very enjoyable walk, better views than the train and felt good to be in the landscape rather than observing it. Old Flam village with it's small church was pretty for the last part of the walk.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb