Sognefjord


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Jostedal
July 4th 2016
Published: July 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Jostedal, Sognefjord.
Long and enjoyable journey today (4th July ) from Flam to Jostedal. Had intended to get about 100km further but too much of interest on the way. First was a drive up over the 25km long tunnel on the National Tourist Route Aurlandsfjellet, to a view point, Steastein, of the fjords, really impressive. Very narrow and winding road, so lots of pulling over for motorhomes that are prolific here from all over Europe. Next stop was a small town, Laerdalsoyri, on a salmon fishing river, had a few lovely old wooden houses in the old part of town.
Onward to the first of 2 stave churches. These are unique to Norway and only 28 left. Stave is after the vertical wooden columns that are central to the architecture. The first in Kaupanger, had been rebuilt a number of times, pretty to visit and in a fine location above the village and lake. The second at Ornes is the oldest and still original from 1130. Also the most ornate, with Viking ish wooden carvings inside and outside. To get there a short ferry journey is needed (leave once an hour), a 15 min hike up a hill. Then you get a short guided tour and can just make it for the next, next ferry back, including picking up a punnet of strawberries. That little side trip took nearly 3 hours.
Finally arrived at a glacier a few km from Jostendal, Nigardsbergen. Drove up as far as we could then walked the final 45mins right up to the snout. Always impressive to get up close. Lovely day and weather behaved for once. Also the best campsite we've stayed in with a comfy area for campers to sit in the cold and rain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb