Bergen to Flam 11 June 2014


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Flåm
June 13th 2014
Published: June 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Bergen to Flam 11 June 2014

After visiting the stave church just outside of Bergen, we left the city while it was raining and headed for Voss. This town has the largest winter resort in Western Norway. It has chair lifts, ski lifts, and a cable car. We felt a distinct chill in the air, something we have not experienced until today. We saw the Voss Kirke, a 1270 Gothic-style church with fine interior. We walked down the main street and then to the Museum where there was a panoramic view on the area. We saw many traditional farmhouses surrounding the town.

We then headed north to Vinje and onto Stalheim. Here was the very interesting Stalheim Hotel where there were considerable antique furniture and beautiful art. The additional feature of this Hotel was the magnificent view of the numerous hairpin bends into a road that lead to the valley floor.



Before going into the Hotel, we thought there was a separate museum for the area and a tourist bus came along past the Hotel so we followed it down a very narrow, steep road. We then saw were we were going - down this very steep road, in a direction we didn't want to go. So on one of the hairpin bends, a made a 3-point turn. While I was doing it, another bus came down the hill. I pointed our nose up this very steep incline while the bus waited for me. My wheels were slipping until I went wider and they then took grip. All was well. We drove back to the Hotel and had a coffee and admired the sites from the Hotel. We drove into Flam at about 4.00pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb