Flamm Church in the Vale


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Flåm
October 10th 2009
Published: October 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Spent quite some time at the Info Centre using the internet. At the souvenir shop it costs 60nok for 60 min. The Italian Davide, who works in the Info Centre, is extremely helpful and kind. His computer even had Open Office.
Downloading pics was a problem because I did not have them on my USP. He offered coffee and cookies. He even phoned Stalheim ... that hotel so high up in the fjord ...no answer.

Becasue there is such a long time between busses I think I will have to forget about visiting the site. Also spoke to some people in the restaurant and they said that the sign for Stalheim Hotel is covered over.Read the place is only open from May to September.

I visited the Flam Rail Museum today. What an exciting story is presented here. I hope the people who take the train take the time to have a look around.

When the rail line was beeing built if you were a man and had a horse you were sure to get a job hauling rocks out of the way. Usually it was unmarried men who could afford a horse. Animal safety was even
Without DynamiteWithout DynamiteWithout Dynamite

Where was Nobel? Hand tools only were used to break up, clear and crush the rock. Pic from the Flaam Rail Museum.
a factor and there were watchdogs present to make sure the horses were not overworked.

A small room reflecting a classroom is set up.Also a room for a young bride in which are shown a stove, waffle iron, a basket of wool and lace curtains.

The shovels, picks, wheelbarrows, carriage, horse harnesses and clothes of the workers are pleasantly displayed. Also depicted is the story of the first travellers to come to Flaam from America, England and parts of Europe for the fishing and the sight of the fantastic fjords.

The first engine designed with a unique breaking system is displayed in the last room of the museum. The museum is well worth an hour long visit. Explanations are written in Norse and English.

It was such a beautiful sunny day that it seemed a sin to be inside. So off I tramped to the actual village of Flaam.

No chance of getting lost or missing the mark. The road leads up the valley. On both side the shale rises high. Waterfalls thin as a rope in some places tumble down to the river which eventually reaches the Naeyofjord exactly where the rail way
Horse with Man Gets the Job. Horse with Man Gets the Job. Horse with Man Gets the Job.

Digging the tunnels and laying the rail beds these men did all the work by hand. Pic taken in the Flaam Rail Museum
line stops. The railline is visible as I head up the valley. My goal is a wooden church famous for its oldness and the fact that it is made all out of wood.

I have the river on my right and the rail line on my left.There is some traffic.

Sheep grace in the narrow fields. Some of the sheep have been shorn. Apparently its the little sheep i.e. Lambs that are served for dinner. The big sheep are kept for their wool. On the way to Bergen is a big wool factory. Will have to make a day trip there.

Little ponies ..3... nibble on pine needles. Homeowners are painting the house and/or making ready for winter, the flower beds.
A mother walks home carrying two plastic begs of groceries from the Coop Store. Did she come from the train station? That would be 3.5 km she is walking with a the little three year old in tow.
Other hikers, who obviously began erlier in the day, are heading back towards the wharf and the train station.
Apple trees have been picked clean of their bounty.
Berry bushes are tied carefully to stakes.
Windows of the oppulant farm houses are adorned with lace curtains.
A huge gravel pit is being worked in the backyard of a farm.
Mushrooms the size of soup bowls grow at the edge of the road.
There is garbage in the form of plastic bags and empty snack containers in the water and at the edge of the road. Not much but enough to be noticed.

Once I reach the church I recognize it as the one I had seen fromthe train. The building is not open. It is surrounded by grave stones. There are many headstones with hte name Flaam. There is not much space left in the yard around the church. On the other side of the fence in three directions sheep graze. Two new burial places still have the bouquets of flowers lying on the freshly turned earth.

After reading some of the dtes on the headstones and taking shots from all angles I find a bench. Here I eat my lunch.

After eating my Wasa crackers, liverwuerst, garnered from the breakfast array, the last of the cheese and a locally grown apple I head back to the wharf and the first toilet I can find.
The Wooden ChurchThe Wooden ChurchThe Wooden Church

Tranquil, amongst flocks of sheep.


There is absolutely not one corner where one could discreetly relieve oneself. Every spot is visible fromn some house window. No wild bush here and no space unprotected by a fence. The fences are ther e to keep the sheep off the road. And people like me off the hidden corners of the field.Then there is always the danger of an attacking sheep while you are crouching with your pants down.

Getting back took much less time than going up the valley. The first Hotel was the Freitheim. Bathroom, coffee, WiFi ... in that order. Since it was four o'clock and I had only another tin of sardines to look forward to I decided to have my coffee and cake now and dinner at 18:30. Reservation made I went to work on my Blog, Skype and Email.

The WiFi at my hotel is on the fritz, therefore I went to the swanky hotel to use theirs. The cake was delicious, the coffe strong and the dinner divine. Had some locally grown lamb, chantelle (sic) mushrooms, potato of some kind and four fingers of turnip decorated with a sprig of something green ...very small sprig!

It was delicious and I refused to think about the price. Am planning to treat myself to one real meal on a table cloth in each of the six countries I visit. Then again if they all cost the same as the lamb and cake plus tip I could fly somewhere for another trip next year. Looking for gourmet sardines!

After meeting a couple from Canada, Ontario, Elora ... had to ask them about tipping ... my belief in the six degrees of separation was once again solidified. They told me their daughter lived in Sudbury and belonged to the Horticultural Society. How much closer can you get then that?

Walked home in the dark. There are street lights. Showered listened to music and slept straight thru to seven the next morning.

The walk, fresh air and good food were a total treat. And talking to loved ones on Skype made my day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Hansel & GretelHansel & Gretel
Hansel & Gretel

or warted witch? Either one could be living here, under the pines, along a gurgling brook with shiny red apples hanging in readiness, to be bitten by the most beautiful of them all.
In Sheep's ClothingIn Sheep's Clothing
In Sheep's Clothing

Poor sheep .. shear them, milk them, eat them and still they wait to be led to .....
In Sheep's ClothingIn Sheep's Clothing
In Sheep's Clothing

Poor sheep .. shear them, milk them, eat them and still they wait to be led to .....
The Most Succulant Lamb EverThe Most Succulant Lamb Ever
The Most Succulant Lamb Ever

This meal compares to the alpaca, llama and ostrich I have eaten.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb