Bergen


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
September 16th 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bergen
Bergen Old Town and Wharf - This is the section of town were there remains buildings from the 12th century still in use. They are now shops and restaurants. These buildings were built out of salt water soaked cedar. There was no foundation, as the wood was placed directly on the ground. Restoration has been occurring for the last 50 years using the same material and work tools as the original builders used.

Bergenhus - This consists of Hakon’s Hall and Rosenkrantz Tower. Hakon’s Hall was closed so we were only allowed to see the exterior. The hall was used as a royal residence and banquet hall for King Hakon Hakensson. It was constructed in the mid 1200’s. It is said when the King’s son married the guest list was for 2000 people to be invited to the hall. The King’s son was eventually King Magnusson and lived in Rosenkrantz tower, which part is from 1270. He was the last King to hold court in Bergen. During the medieval times, the castle was renovated and extended to have more rooms. The stone interior walls made it feel as old as it is. I took a picture of the stairway, typical of many we have climbed over the past two weeks. I, as well as Scott, am surprised that I haven’t fell down one yet. The dungeon was used in this castle from the 15th through the 19th century.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.016s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb