Train to Bergen via Flam


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Sognefjord
September 16th 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Myrdal-Flam-Gudvangen-Voss
We took a 5.5 hour train ride to Myrdal, along the way we caught great views of the mountains in fall color. We were lucky to see a few glaciers. The area seemed to be a hotspot for mountain bikers. They were at every train station we encountered.
Once in Myrdal we caught the Flamsbana, aka The Flam Railway, it is a trek from down a canyon to Flam, located on the Sognefjorden, Norway¡¦s deepest and longest fjord. The train travels from 865.6 meters to 2 meters, with a maximum gradient of 55%. We passed through 20 tunnels. The train stopped at a huge waterfall, called the Kjosfossen Waterfall, which was 305 feet tall. It is beautiful with this little old stone building to the side of it. Once we arrived in Flam we boarded a ferry to take us through the parts of the Sognefjorden called the Aurlandsfjord and the Naeroyfjord, which is the narrowest fjord in Europe. It was a hazy day so our pictures do not show the detail that we experienced. The ferry drops us off in Gudvangen, where we boarded a bus to take us to the Stalheim view point. The bus ride is a harrowing experience with 13 hairpin turns on a single lane road, note once again we are in a bus with oncoming traffic¡K¡K. and there were no guardrails just a few stones at the edge of the pavement. The view looked down at the valley towards the fjord. It was spectacular. During the day we saw at least a hundred waterfalls of beauty, we spared you by only photographing half ƒº. If you are planning to go to Norway this is a must do.


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb