Day in Bergen sightseeing NORWAY


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
June 27th 2010
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

BryggenBryggenBryggen

Old harbour in Bergen
Woke late (can’t get off to sleep as it is so light at night!) and walked across the bridge into Bergen. This involves going up and over quite a hill as this city is only flat along the waterways.
Saw some amazing boats in the harbour - one from the Isle of Man which is privately owned (we chatted to one of the crew).
Can’t imagine how much money you would need to have to own something like that.
Had a good wander round Bergen, mainly down in the Bryggen area which is the old, traditional wooden fishing area and what Bergen is famous for. Has had a lot of damage from fires and is now heavily protected as a Unesco heritage site.
Lovely place to explore and the frontage onto the harbour is very pretty with all the different coloured peak roof all-wooden buildings which are all now shops or cafes.
There are plenty of shops, all looked very inviting but we only bought a postcard for Izzy as we quickly discovered that this is rip-off alley. This is a major stopping spot for cruise ships (there were 3 in post today) so that could be one reason.
We had
BergenBergenBergen

Market
lunch at one of the Bryggen cafes and were well and truly ripped off. No price on anything but £27 for 2 rolls, 1 coffee and 1 beer is surely taking the mickey !
Norwegian cash going down at an alarming rate and had to get some more, already.
The fish market on the harbour was worth a visit and we wished we had bought a skewer of prawns for lunch from there instead.
Pretty footsore by the time we had walked back to our campsite up and over that hill again.
Have been really pleased with the weather which was lovely and sunny all day and, unusually, we sat outside to eat dinner and watched the boats going up and down the harbour.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Bergen fish marketBergen fish market
Bergen fish market

All we could say was Yummy !
BergenBergen
Bergen

Famous waterfront coloured wooden houses
Bergen is pretty expensiveBergen is pretty expensive
Bergen is pretty expensive

and so are these boats


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb