DAYS 10-11 Bergen Norway


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
August 6th 2019
Published: August 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Monday was a comfortable travel day with a scenic 6.5 hr train journey linking Norway's two main cities. Starting in a cool grey Oslo morning the train steadily climbed to 1220 mtrs to a sunny alpine day before descending back down to sea level & a cool & dry Bergen. The outlook along the way was of lush valleys, idyllic villages, dramatic mountains and picturesque lakes. The scene then changed to treeless rocky hills with isolated snowy patches at the top and then dense pine forests on the decent.

We arrived mid afternoon for a 2 night stop at the Hotel Zander K & headed out immediately for a brief orientation walk around the historic World Heritage listed city.

Also in the likelihood of a wet next day (it rains 266 days a year) we took a late afternoon funicular ride to the top of the steep Floyen Mountain which overlooks the town below with amazing views of the harbour & the colourful houses. We opted to walk the 3 km return trip down the hill through lush pine forests.

We ended a memorable day with a fabulous group seafood dinner on the harbour.

Bergen has medieval beginnings and grew due to its important link as part of the Hanseatic merchant shipping confederation within the Northern European & Baltic regions and traded for 400 years from the 15th century. Bergen has almost been wiped out several times due to devastating fires & once due to the Black Plague.

These days Bergen’s sheer natural beauty has been a magnet for artistic and culturally diverse citizens making it the most cosmopolitan city in the country.

Bergen is an easy walking city that has a vibrant feel to the place possibly due to the bustling fish market right on the wharf. However, It pays to explore early or later in the day due to the regular cruise ship arrivals.

The next day started with a local museum historian presenting a walking tour around the medieval Bryggen port area now recognised for its colourful wooden houses & the beautiful backdrop of 7 surrounding mountains. Other significant sights included the old but well preserved Bergenhus fortress and the ancient St.Mary´s church


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Bryggen wooden housesBryggen wooden houses
Bryggen wooden houses

Now artisan shops


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb