DAYS 7-9 Oslo Norway


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
August 4th 2019
Published: August 4th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Friday was a 300 km local bus trip to Oslo, Norway's capital and a 3 night stay at the Hotel Anker. The bus was super smooth & comfortable & we arrived to a warm 28 deg. afternoon. After lunch & a quick check-in we took our usual guided orientation walk to get an understanding of the layout of the city to best plan the rest of our free time. The main landmarks seen among others were the Royal Palace, Parliament, University & the National Theatre.

Next day was hot again. We bought a 24 hr Oslo Pass which allows free admission & transport to numerous museums & other attractions. First off we caught a local bus to museum island. Although technically not an island 5 amazing museums are located within walking distance of each other on a headland near the city. Most have a maritime theme & include the Viking ships museum, Thor Heyerdahl’s Kon- Tiki raft museum, Roald Amundsen’s polar exploration ship the Fram & the maritime museum. The 1st 3 were amazing. We caught a return ferry which arrived at the old town wharf where the nearby headland is dominated by the medieval Akershus Fortress which is now a military museum.

Day 3 a cool grey morning after a storm & some heavy rain overnight. We travelled to nearby Holmenkollen, site of the 1952 Winter Olympics ski jumping platform and ski museum. Still a world class facility, after a recent rebuild, the jump is a stunning sight on the skyline with 360 deg. views over the old town, whereas the view down the ramp is one of vertigo inducing terror. The museum houses a nice history of skiing which plays an integral part in Norway’s history & culture.



Later we went to Vigeland Sculpture Park, an incredible park with more than 200 sculptures by Gustav Vigeland in bronze, granite and cast iron. The theme of human body sculptures is one of angry babies, the circle of life, monoliths and nakedness.

Next we took a short tour of the grand function room of the City Hall building which is the permanent venue for the presentation of the Nobel Peace Prize. The mural walls portray key historical moments & important cultural aspects of Norwegian life.



We have achieved so much in 3 days & ready to move on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Viking ShipViking Ship
Viking Ship

Remarkably recovered from mounds after being used as a burial chamber by its Chieftain owner.


6th August 2019

Loving it.
All been mega sick here and Sue and I on the mend Terry is back I. Bed 24/7. Pretty sure it is a virus of some sort . Weather as beautiful as winter can get. Enjoy your amazing g trip so far does not sound too taxing. Di
6th August 2019

Tks for the comments. Hope you all get better soon. Gerry.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb