Alesund to Trondheim via the Altantic Road NORWAY


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Trøndelag » Trondheim
July 1st 2010
Published: July 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Exciting drive today - along the Atlantic Road to Kristiansund. This is an 8km stretch of highway which connects lots of little islands together and is basically a road across the sea.
First we drove to Molde and that involved a big ferry
VESTNES TO MOLDE COST 301 KRONER
and also, as we have come to expect, lots of tunnels, long and short.
The day had started with lots of low cloud but fortunately the further we drove the better the weather got until the sun was fully out, the clouds lifted and the sky went blue (and is still like that now at 10.30pm).
From Molde we followed route 64 through stunning countryside as Molde is absolutely surrounded by mountains and of course fjords.
Then along the Atlantic Highway. Fantastic. We went up and over an amazing bridge and fortunately there were stopping spots so we did and enjoyed our lunch part way along the route. The amazing road finishes with a tunnel across to Kristiansund which is itself built on 3 islands.
Tunnel was tolled and cost us 120 kroner as always have to pay for the motorhome and driver plus passengers.
We realised as we approached Kristiansund that
Atlantic HighwayAtlantic HighwayAtlantic Highway

linking the islands up to Kristiansund
we had no reason to stop as we were well ahead of our day’s schedule so we changed our route and headed straight for tomorrow’s stop, Trondheim, instead.
Took a couple of wrong turns on the way, not helped by Clarissa Tomtom who kept yelling at us whenever we refused to follow her instructions but she had deliberately tried to divert us from the Atlantic Road so we were ignoring her !
One wrong turn involved a toll bridge of which we got a very good view. Twice !
Wonderful countryside for the entire drive today and lots of very different types. Had to take yet another ferry to get across to Trondheim
KANESTRAUM TO HALLSA COST 216 KRONER
Then tunnel after tunnel nearer to Trondheim then we also drove through several automatic toll points as we approached the city so may possibly get a bill when we get home !
In Trondheim we found our Bobilpark had vanished or rather we think it had been dug up for development. Found a very pleasant campsite at Flakk instead which is at the ferry port and therefore by the sea so an excellent last minute choice especially as weather suddenly glorious.
you can just see the bridgeyou can just see the bridgeyou can just see the bridge

in the middle, top





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Fantastic bridgeFantastic bridge
Fantastic bridge

on the Atlantic Highway
Another mountain, another fjordAnother mountain, another fjord
Another mountain, another fjord

Wonderful drive today


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb