Traveling in Trondheim


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Trøndelag » Trondheim
July 4th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Trondheim is another beautiful city. The nice thing about all the places I visited is the livability factor; great public transportation, helpful tourist offices, everyone speaks English and most things are with in walking distance. I did a quick tour of the town and then met up Idun, Claire and Carleigh Ryan and their friend from Monica. Spent an enjoyable after noon with them before I caught the night train to Oslo.

Arrived in Oslo in the morning, sleeping on the train saves a paying for a room as long as you don´t mind missing a shower or two, and it gives you more time to track down a room for the next night. Oslo was nice but didn´t have the comfortable feeling I got in many other cities. Toured the museums and cathedrals and shared my room in the hostel with three koreans all very pleasant but didn´t speak any english.

The next day I traveled down to Gotenberg to see Fredrick Kjellgren who was in The Dalles in 1997. Spent a fun weekend with him and his girl friend, Fredrica; went to see Fredricks grandpa, a very interesting man with lots of great stories; toured Gotenberg and took the ferry to an island to have dinner with Pinilla and Ted. A fun evening was had by all eating, drinking and great conversation. There are only paths on the island, no room for cars, infact the only wheeled vehicles allowed are wheel barrows. When they build a new house all the materials are flown in by helicopter. On sunday Fredrick put me on the train to Copenhagen and it was standing room only for the first 2 hrs of the 4 hour ride.

Copenhagen was full of people!! Tourist, people there for the jazz festival and all the young Europeans out hiking for the week. I have never seen so many back packers and muddy boots in one place, the train station was huge and there was barely a place to walk because all the hikers where laying every where waiting for their trains, lots of tired hikers and I´m sure sleeping on the tile floor didn´t help. The only bed in the hostel was in a room with 6 bunk beds so I shared it with 11 other guys, to much fun.

I decided with all the people in town I should leave, besides I had a bed waiting in Pamplona for me and San Fermins were going on too. So off I went to see the Running of the Bulls, and caught the trian to Hamberg. From Hamberg I got on the night train to Paris but I was sleeping in the wrong car and woke up in Frankfurt, the train split in the middle of the night.
No big deal, I still made it to Paris that day, there is always another train, then on to San Sebastian Spain in the afternoon. On the train to Spain I met up with a couple from Austrailla who were waiting for their sail boat to arrive from Florida so they could sail the Mediterrain for the summer and fall.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

TrondheimTrondheim
Trondheim

Canal view of old town
TrondheimTrondheim
Trondheim

Looking across river to west Tronheim
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

View from cathedral
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

Smiling for the camera, Idun, Claire, Carleigh and Monica
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

Looking at the west tower, rebuilt in the early 70´s and the stone mason building the statue in the corner used Bob Dylan as the model. Sounds like something Widge would do.
FriendsFriends
Friends

Getting together with friends at the summer cottage, Fredrica, Fredrick, Pinilla and Ted
FriendsFriends
Friends

Fredrick and Chip
Swedens CoastSwedens Coast
Swedens Coast

Islands on Swedens coast full of summer cottages and sailing. Only access to islands is by ferrys
FriendsFriends
Friends

Only wheeled vehicles allowed on this island are wheeled barrows, Fredrica, Fredrick and Pinilla
CopenhaugenCopenhaugen
Copenhaugen

Canal view in Copenhaugen
HambergHamberg
Hamberg

Inside the Hamberg train station


Tot: 0.355s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.3121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb