Tromsø, Lofoten Islands - Norway


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Northern Norway
April 19th 2009
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

TromsoTromsoTromso

The majority was on an island surrounded by mountains
Emily and I just returned from a great trip the farthest north I will most likely ever go. We went waaay up north, 1500 miles from the northpole, 750km drive from my house to the town of Tromsø, Norway. We took a highway right on the Sweden-Finnish border all the way up past the point where Finland, Sweden and Norway all border each other. Once we hit Norway the scenery got much better. We saw a moose! and drove along fjords to one of the northern most cities in europe.

We spent two nights in Tromsø. It was a quaint little town and twilight lasted until 11pm. Only a month left until they get the midnight sun. The streets were really confusing in Tromso. There wasn't much planning involved. A lot of streets were dead ends, and a lot didn't allow traffic. The place we stayed was very nice. It was an old house turned into a travelers accommodation. It had 4 rooms that shared a kitchen, balcony, and living room. A can of Coca-cola was about $3. Gas was really bad too.

We drove from Tromsø to the Lofoton islands after two nights. It was a gorgeous drive. There were fjords everywhere. It was pretty bad weather, and at one point there was a bridge we couldn't cross for about 15 minutes because the winds were too high.

Our accommodation was really nice. We had a kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bathroom to ourselves. We stayed in Sund, an old fishing town of about 35-590 buildings. It was on the sea, nestled in between a few mountains. We drove to the end of the islands to a town called Å. There was a lot of fish hanging on racks outside to cure in every town. it made the air smell of fish. Our last day was beautiful. Sunny with little clouds. It was a 9 hour drive back home and offered picturesque landscapes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Salmon dinnerSalmon dinner
Salmon dinner

We cooked at home since Norway is really expensive
Moose tracksMoose tracks
Moose tracks

We saw a moose too before this pretty close, I was driving so Emily got the picture
ChurchChurch
Church

Random town on the Lofoten islands
ViewView
View

from the church parking lot
Fjords everywhereFjords everywhere
Fjords everywhere

scenic drive along the chain of islands
seasea
sea

beach area, colder than frozen
View from our "apartment"View from our "apartment"
View from our "apartment"

in Sund, where we stayed on the islands
MountainsMountains
Mountains

on the drive home


Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb