Hurtigruten Norway ?? 21st- 26th June 2017


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Northern Norway » Kirkenes
June 26th 2017
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We spent a week cruising southbound on the Norwegian ship, MS Richard With from Kirkenes. We had varied weather- grey, moody skies, heavy rain and cold, bright blue skies and sunshine and lovely warmth and heavy winds, making for an interesting journey.

Norway's coastline is beautiful- rugged, with choppy water and water tucked away in fjord which is clear and smooth, like glass. There have been many seagulls, some terns and sea eagles, but I unfortunately missed the Puffin I wanted to sea. In fact, there was next to no wildlife by comparison to Antarctica. We were too far south for Polar Bears and penguins too... next trip we need to go to Svalbard and back into the Arctic circle - a little further north next time.

Without doubt, our favourite day was in the Vestæralen and Lofoten Islands. It was magnificent and I could have stayed there the whole week. The Trollfjord in Raftsund Sound was so picturesque- the highlight of this cruise for scenery, weather and relaxation.

The crew have been accommodating and friendly, the ship was okay, but in comparison to the other in its fleet it was disappointing. It would have been nicer to be on one of the renovated ships as they were more modern and decor more interesting and comfortable. Evidently our ship is only leased, not owned, by Hurtigruten. The staff hope for a renovation soon.

We had a really enjoyable time, although over-ate every meal (we may need to join Over Eaters Anonymous when we get home). We still have another cruise this trip, but thankfully a week before then to walk on land for a while. We are soon to pull in Bergen and are looking forward to the next leg of our journey with Marcus' sister, Zoë, joining us in Bergen as we go across land to Oslo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb