In the mountains at Rjvkan en route for Bergen NORWAY


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway
June 25th 2010
Published: June 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Waterfall Waterfall Waterfall

Konigberg en route Oslo to Bergen
Left Oslo and headed for Rjukan en route for Bergen. A bit too far to go in a day as second part of the route includes a lot of tunnels and a couple of ferries to get through the mountains and across the fjords.
Rjukan is the site of the German heavy water factory which was sabotaged in the 2nd world war so Bob chose it as our stopping spot.
Leaving Oslo we drove down the coast a little way and saw more and more boats. In fact we have never seen so many. The entire coastline is filled with inlets and harbours and marinas and boats, boats, boats.
Then we turned inland and headed west and the scenery became gradually more and more dramatic. Lots of lakes / fjords, and some winding narrow roads, and a couple of quite dramatic waterfalls.
Found a lovely spot for lunch overlooking an enormous lake and then found our way to the campsite. Was planning to visit the heavy water factory which is now an industrial museum but it was out the other side of town so we gave it a miss. Will take a quick look on the way past tomorrow.
Campsite is
Telemark style buildingTelemark style buildingTelemark style building

Usually have grass growing on the roof
one big field overlooked by one big snow-capped mountain. Fortunately at campsite level it is quite sunny and reasonably warm.
Still waiting to see our first reindeer and first elk. It will happen.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lovely lakeLovely lake
Lovely lake

Near Rjukan
Snow capped mountainSnow capped mountain
Snow capped mountain

looked a bit like an iced cake
Snow capped Mountain viewSnow capped Mountain view
Snow capped Mountain view

Campsite at Rjukan


Tot: 0.347s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 30; qc: 152; dbt: 0.2345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb