Norway's National Holiday


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
May 17th 2006
Published: April 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Norway's National DayNorway's National DayNorway's National Day

I was very fortunate to have been invited to visit my Norwegian friend. I spent the day with her and her family, experiencing at first hand, the traditions of another culture. The morning was overcast and we started as a small group before merging with others from the surrounding area as seen here. Shortly after this photo, the parade had gathered in the arena and there were speeches by local dignatories. The event closed with the singing of the Norwegian National anthem.
Over 2005 and 2006, I was fortunate enough to be working in Paris and Amsterdam. Whilst building relationships with my French and Dutch colleagues, I was also able to work closely with others - Swedes, Germans, Belgians, Swiss and Norwegian.

I got on so well with Eva, that she invited me to visit her and her family in Oslo. However, knowing my love of avoiding the tourists, she invited me over National Day.

And so it was that I arrived in Oslo, after a delayed flight, just 5 minutes into the National Holiday. The taxi driver was most apologetic as he now had to charge double rate. However, I never used a cab after that, so it wasn't the end of the world.

I spent the next day with my colleague and after that, bought a ticket that took me all over Oslo. The photos tell the story!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Bygdøy - Vikingskiphuset - GokstadBygdøy - Vikingskiphuset - Gokstad
Bygdøy - Vikingskiphuset - Gokstad

This viking boat was found in 1880. It was build about 890AD and used 10 years later in the burial of an important chieftain. The man lay in a timber burial chamber together with three smaller boats, a tent, a sledge and some riding equipment. Built of oak, the ship is 75 feet long, 15 feet wide and had 32 oarsmen.
Bygdøy - Vikingskiphuset - GokstadBygdøy - Vikingskiphuset - Gokstad
Bygdøy - Vikingskiphuset - Gokstad

The prow is beautifully made ...
Bygdøy - Vikingskiphuset - GokstadBygdøy - Vikingskiphuset - Gokstad
Bygdøy - Vikingskiphuset - Gokstad

The detail here on the rudder gives evidence of the remarkable skills possessed by the Vikings. No wonder these chaps got to Greenland and probably much further. "Et skip som må øses 3 ganger på 2 døgn er sjødyktig til all slags ferd" "A ship that has to be bailed 3 times in 2 days is fit for any type of sea voyage"
FramFram
Fram

The Fram is probably Norway's most famous polar exploration ship. It was captained by Nansen on journeys to Greenland and across the Arctic. It was also captained by Sverdrup on his expeditions and, most famously, by Roald Amundsen. This tiny rudder could be lifted out to ensure it didn't get stuck in the ice.
FramFram
Fram

I cannot imagine the skill and bravery of the men who went into polar waters for months and years on end, particularly when you consider that this was their main source of heat.
FramFram
Fram

At least they took their portable keyboard!
GjøaGjøa
Gjøa

This little boat was the first to go through the North West Passage successfully. Roald Amundsen and his crew of six took just three years.
Kon TikiKon Tiki
Kon Tiki

Back in 1947, Thor Heyerdahl left Peru and drifted with the Humboldt Current, landing in Polynesia just over 100 days later. The trip was a forerunner of the Ra expeditions and was designed to determine whether balsa wood rafts could make the journey. They did.
Ra IIRa II
Ra II

Twenty years after completing his trip in Kon Tiki, Thor Heyerdahl set off again, this time to demonstrate that a reed boat could have reached the West Indies from Africa. Using wall paintings from Egyptian tombs and other sources, he risked his life in the name of science and thus ensured he and his beliefs would be recognised. His work continues today.
Oslo HarbourOslo Harbour
Oslo Harbour

Where history was made ...


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb