The first driftless week...


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
August 19th 2007
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It is officially the end of my first full week in Oslo. I am slowly adapting to the European differences in lifestyles. Compared to America, it's a bit more laid back. Overall, the speed of people's life seems to be more casual and slowed down. Civilians walk to and from, with bread in their backpacks and umbrellas in hand (which, by the way, seems to be a status symbol in this town). People walk everywhere and take trains and busses when they can't. The car flow is thinner, but the smell of gas and oil still lingers in the air. However, Oslo is a very clean city. There is occasional trash on the sidewalks, but nothing significant enough for me to turn my head.

The two German girls I met, along with another from Atlanta, visited Gustav Vigeland park on Friday. It was a massive garden with various naked sculptures in different "life" poses. In America, I think it could raise some controversy, but the locals seem to love it, according to Sam, who's been there, done that. It's easy to pass by all of the sculptures and make quick, observational glances, but to really study the features makes you look at the park in a different way. I had a chance to do that with some. The impressionism is so realistic. The struggles, the dilhemas, and the joy are all so evident in each and every sculpture. Everyone, I'm sure, tells a lengthy story behind it. The whole time we were there, the sky was giving off this mysterious vibe, with sunshine blasting through in some areas, and dark clouds overlooking with potential of rain in others. We stayed for two hours or so, then slowly walked back to Majorstuen train station to go back to our studentbys.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb