Skhay-vuh-ninghen......right?


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
June 24th 2012
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.1081, 4.27309

We enjoyed a late Sunday morning breakfast with the family, then it was off to het Keringhuis, part of the WaterWerks. It's a giant gate that can be closed across the Maas. It was pretty cool! It was a rainy day, but this was mostly inside. The Dutch have learned a thing or thirty about managing floods and storm surges, and the engineering is truly amazing.

After the Keringhius, we headed over to Scheveningen. This is a a resort area of Holland, with beaches, a boardwalk, rides -- a very pleasnt place to spend a morning.

Unless of course, there's a bit of a storm coming in off the North Sea.

Oof. It was SO windy, and off-and-on rainy. We had lunch on the boardwalk, and then Dejo & I went to find a geo-cache on the end of the pier. Wow, was it gusting there! But we dropped off the Texas bug that we had brought with us, and picked up a rock that wanted to come home. It was a really challenging (windy, rainy, sandblasty) walk back to the car. I took off my glasses, lest they be etched by the sand.

Ans, Jerome, Dejo & I went to Madurodam – a miniature city. There are replicas of many Dutch buildings/blocks/city centers, in amazing detail. There are also lots of hands-on bits, like exhibits where yo can try your hand at putting a barge through a lock, or putting a coin in a machine, which then sends a small truck out, with a souvenir for you. I had a lot of fun posing Gnorm the Gnome in different pictures, and the whole thing was just really cool.

The evening was pleasantly relaxing -- we had dinner at Ans & Joops place, and watched the England-Italy Euro Cup game. I've never watched more soccer than I have this week!



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

We are here.We are here.
We are here.

There are multiple structures in the WaterWerks system
The barriers, diagrammedThe barriers, diagrammed
The barriers, diagrammed

These large barriers can be closed across the river, when a storm surge is imminent
A smaller version of the Keringhuis barrierA smaller version of the Keringhuis barrier
A smaller version of the Keringhuis barrier

We saw the real one that morning


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb