Kinderdijk and wedding anniversary


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
August 8th 2014
Published: August 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Ship travelled overnight and through the morning, arriving at Kinderdijk in Holland in time for lunch.

Mid morning Lee, the programme director, gave us an interesting presentation on some aspects of Dutch history and culture, including free samples of cheese, and Jenever, a very strong precursor of gin. As the first sip burned it's way down my oesophagus I gasped "that's nice" and took another. The third sip was definitely a mistake, necessitating a return to our cabin for a lie down before lunch!

After lunch our local guide walked us round to the multiple-windmill polder-draining system, which is fascinating. It's supplemented these days by diesel powered pumps, but the old windmills still play an active part. The old mechanisms on the windmills are incredibly sophisticated and effective. They consist of wooden beams and ropes and chains and iron bits, and accomplish a range of things from turning the sails into the wind to unfurling the canvas over the sails.

Interesting also to see diesel powered Archimedes screws. Unfortunately they weren't in operation during our tour. I had no idea such things were used in modern times!

Our last dinner on board saw us celebrating our golden wedding anniversary with four friends, two of whom had celebrated theirs with us only three days before. We shared our complimentary bottle of anniversary champagne (= sparkling wine), and endured an excruciating though endearing poly-tonal rendition of a nice sentimental song by the whole waiting staff as they presented us with a delicious cake with a cascading firework instead of a lame candle!

So dear reader we come to the end of this blog of our trip of a lifetime.

Carole says she's fine (who could disagree), and dear reader, I married her - 50 years ago!

Photo Gallery

Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb