Cologne


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 7th 2014
Published: August 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The ship sailed through the night, and by breakfast we had reached Cologne, so with only two full days left, we are at last on time again!



After breakfast we opted to do our own thing, rather than go with the crowd.



The cathedral is within easy walking distance of the ship. Past St Michaels we went, into a square full of cafes and pubs (the Irish pub being the only one that wasn't open!), through some narrow streets to the plaza in front of the cathedral. We were greeted by what sounded like a beautifully in-tune wind band, but which turned out to be a quintet of classical buskers - 3 accordions, a tuba and a solo violin. They played mainly Vivaldi and Bach, including the famous D minor toccata and fugue! They were absolutely superb! I shall never mock accordion players again!



The cathedral is awesome, but grubby, and it was tightly hemmed in by a museum and a huge main railway station. Such a pity. They seem to cram a lot of buildings inappropriately closely together.



We strolled back past the frightful opera house - I think I actually couldn't bear to go inside and listen to music in it even if it were free!



After lunch we were quite tired so we opted out of the afternoon castle tours, and watched a film in our cabin.



At 6 we had cocktails and a disembarkation briefing. The Serbian captain was invited to address us, but having no English he could only manage "cheers", which I think is a sound basis for someone starting a new language :-)



Dinner was quite festive with a nice parade, a cat walk almost, of just about every member of staff, including the ones we never see like the dishwashers.



We now have to fill in some comment forms on the trip, and it's quite tricky as there were undoubtedly some disappointments, but, unlike some people, we feel the problems were almost entirely beyond the control of the staff. We shall see.



I must be certain to tell them that Carole says she's fine.

Photo Gallery

Advertisement



Tot: 0.406s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb