DAY 2 - Amsterdam to Entebbe, Uganda - July, 2010


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
July 2nd 2010
Published: January 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This blog lists highlighted bullet points first. You are invited to read on if you have time.

1. Short night. Not a lot of sleep on the 7.5 hour MSP-AMS flight.

2. 4-hour layover in Amsterdam. Steve is exhausted and sleeping on a bench. Rehydrating with apple juice and vitamin water. (He just returned from a solar project in Switzerland just the week before we left for Africa.)

3. A cheerful KLM attendant invited us to upgrade to business class. Recliner, footrest, sleep, sleep, sleep. Ignore previous comments about steerage.

4. Excited to see friends Charles (St. Thomas grad) and wife, Maria in Kampala.

5. Customs was easy. Waited for bags a very long time. But we go with the flow.

6. Greeted Charles!! Loved seeing his face. Charles is a blog in and of himself. For now, I will say that his father was killed by Idi Amin and that he is making the world better through his leadership through medical clinics in the Kampala slums.

7. Charles brought us to the Pope John Memorial Hotel where most were watching the World Cup soccer. Two Fanta sodas and off to bed amid cheers and yells for the team.





NARRATIVE:
KLM had the friendliest, most organized crew. The flight was downright cheerful. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that the Netherlands beat Ghana in soccer and the pilot announced it. We landed, 'found' Charles, got our luggage and were taken to the hotel. It is intriguing to watch Steve - even in his road wearyness - take in the sights, smells and sounds of Africa for the first time. It has brought a hush over both of us. No pics today or yesterday and too tired to write more.

*****************

Take me to the Educate Tanzania website.

http://educatetanzania.org


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb