The Netherlands


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
September 7th 2011
Published: September 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Upon exiting Belgium, the next stop was The Netherlands! We met up with Joop and Annet, Sara´s family, in Maastricht where we toured around the city a bit had some lunch and saw some sights. It was lovely to see them and be in the country with some locals. Then it was on to their home in a quaint town called Sittard. We rested and caught up for a bit then walked in and around town, saw the old city walls and had a beer.

The next day we toured the countryside, crossing many rivers, one on a car ferry! We had a snack by the river in the company of many sheep which notably still had their tails attached. Not many flies over here perhaps? Anyway after that we went past and saw the house where mum grew up and then visited with Rinnie, more family, which was lovely. Joop dropped us off at the station where we were destined for Amsterdam.

In Amsterdam we got a little lost looking for our hotel....apparently there is the first, second, third and fourth streets with the same name, we needed the second not the first! Tiny hotel but very close to the Leidesplein, one of the main squares in Amsterdam. Quite touristy but lots happening. We waded through the numerous (50+) steakhouses to get to some tasty Indonesian (one of the best cuisines to have here).

Sights included Anne Frank Huis, a cruise on the canals, museums, breakfast at Sara´s Pancakes (yum!) and the Red Light District, which was pretty eye opening or closing depending on which way you looked. We also noticed the numerous coffee shops (not cafes which are bars) with certain smells wafting out.....

The stay ended with a hair raising trip in a luxurious mercedes taxi (leather trim, window curtains and all! taxi/drug dealer?) at 5:30 in the morning.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb