Gangelt to Reusel


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
June 23rd 2023
Published: June 23rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Another lovely hotel last night and a very German breakfast this morning. Ham and cheese at breakfast just isn't right. The sun was shining brightly and yesterday's wet clothes were nearly dried and those that weren't dried in the first few miles of wearing.
Before leaving we asked if the hotel still had the water wheel but it had been damaged by bombs in WW2 and never replaced.
Within minutes of leaving the hotel we were in the Netherlands and cycling through Gangelt Wild Park, a nature reserve.
We saw lots of horses today and foals with incredibly skinny legs.
We crossed the Maas river on our first river ferry of the trip. It wasn't what we expected. We did a very similar route to this on our way home last year and it was a tiny boat that only bikes could fit on. Today's was much bigger and could fit about six cars and a dozen bikes on. It was also a different place so I'm not sure why.
We did a lot of miles on two canals, the Kanal Zuid Willemsvaart and the Kanal van Bocholt naar Herentals. At one point we had to stop as there was a cycling chain of about 50 school children with a few teachers strung out between them. I would say they were primary aged children.
When we stopped at a bench to have a picnic lunch a man was leaving on his bike. He asked about our tour and said he and his wife used to tour. They has gone from home to Rome, Barcelona and Spain to name but a few. He had stopped touring and bought an e-bike when he was 76 years old. He was now 80 and can still do rides of 80km (50 miles).
As we got into Reusel we stopped for an Ice cream and then did a tour of town looking for eating places for later.
We then carried onto the hotel which was another couple of miles so we decided to eat there instead even though it was quite expensive.

57 miles


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb