Cologne to Gangelt.


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 22nd 2023
Published: June 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday.

We had a very leisurely breakfast this morning as there was nothing to rush for. The only person , from the group, we saw was Bob setting off to cycle to the airport. (Poor Bob had his first puncture of the tour on his way to the airport). We then spent the morning in our room as didn't need to check out till 12.00. We wanted to make it a rest day and my left knee has started to hurt a little, as it does from time to time, so I wanted to rest that.



We wandered the streets looking at the sights, including the Red Light district by mistake, and made lunch last a very long time. Then we had a couple of hours in the hotel foyer before heading for the train station.( We had left our bikes and luggage at the hotel).

What a nightmare, the train was late, then it rerouted due to an accident, they told us we needed to change, then we didn't need to, then we did. We finally arrived at the hotel at 4.45 and it took the receptionist forever to check us in. And so to bed.



Thursday.

We were both wide awake at 8.15am so decided to get up. I think we were ready for food not having had as much yesterday, never expecting how long we would be up. We had a leisurely breakfast and set off. The centre of Cologne was very busy but we were soon further out on long straight roads heading west. Late morning we had about ten miles of rain but it wasn't too unpleasant as it was warm. We had a cafe lunch, with hot coffee, as it was still raining. We had only done eighteen miles.



After that we carried on mainly through fields of crops, barley, wheat potatoes, cabbage, to name a few and also a few vines. The ride was now more scenic. The first fifteen had been next to main roads and not scenic. Often the cycle paths run between enormous fields which seem quite remote. Near the end of the day we recognised parts of the ride we did last year and passed through the edge of Geilerkirchin where we had stayed the night last year. For the last seven miles there was a storm and it poured down. We arrived at the hotel looking like drowned rats. The hotel owner said 'Nice weather eh' .



We were soon sorted with showers and dry clothes. Thankfully the hotel towels were black and grey so coped with us drying clothes and bags without leaving a mark. The rest yesterday has helped my knee and it's coped well today.



We had our evening meal in the hotel so we didn't need to go out again. It was still pouring down.



Gangelt is right on the border of Germany and the Netherlands. It has a castle, city gates and some of the city wall remains. The castle is now a private residence. The hotel is in a former water mill.



53 miles

Advertisement



Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb