Arnhem to Vreden


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
August 26th 2022
Published: August 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Another day heading directly east. A day of great variety, through the Veluwe Forest, riding on the tops of dykes, quiet lanes and in and out of villages. Mainly through crops of maize, potatoes and orchards. There were some Dairy cattle and even belted galloways. Lots of fabulous horses too.



We stopped at a restaurant at lunch time, essentially to use the toilets but decided to have a coffee as well. A rare treat. Living the high life on a low budget. This pushed lunch back to two o'clock but that meant we had more miles behind us and less to do. Always good psychologically.



It was cloudy today and cooler but a much better temperature for cycling. We are heading west to east so the prevailing winds will help us. Mmm so why have we had a headwind every day?



The last ten miles were in Germany, in the North Rhine- Westhalia region. Just before reaching Vreden we passed the edge of the Zwillbroker Venn Nature Reserve, which has the most northerly colony of flamingos.



We found the hotel easily and it's another high standard one. After showers and coffee we had a walk into town but there wasn't an awful lot to see and we were glad we had a meal booked in the hotel restaurant as there wasn't much in town. It was another Italian meal and we practiced our German with the waitresses who spoke wonderful English.

48 miles today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb