Leiden, NL


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Leiden
July 1st 2015
Published: July 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Dordreicht, NL to Rotterdam, NLDordreicht, NL to Rotterdam, NLDordreicht, NL to Rotterdam, NL

Bike on the stern of the Water-Bus.
Leiden, NL

We've traveled a bit since our last blog.

Our stay (2nights) in Boven-Leeuwen was super nice. Christa & Mark ran a great campground and the last night we were able to use their grill to cook steak, used their micowave for baked potatoes and had a salad. I wish that we could have all those amenities at each campground! Upon leaving, Christa gave us a small jar of homemade strawberry jam. Best campground this trip.

The next campground faded by comparison. On the way there we met a gal from the states who had been living in Europe since the 90's. She had lived in France, Germany and the Netherlands. She was telling us it costs about $2000 to get a drivers license in NL. She is teaching school here. You never know who you will meet.

From Woudrichem we pedaled to Dordreicht. Our easy 20km day turned into a 40km day. Seems we got on the wrong trail and took in a scenic route. A fellow we met on the ferry told us about a good restaurant in town, we found it and had a great hamburger and fries.

Leaving Dordreicht, we decided
Chuck's B-day!Chuck's B-day!Chuck's B-day!

Lunch in Delft, NL on a barge.
to take a water bus to Rotterdam. What fun! All we had to do is wheel our bikes right on the boat. We need one of these in Tampa Bay. The trip took one hour and the cost was 4 euros each with the senior discount. Of course, if we did have it, it would cost about $12 and you wouldn't be able to take a bike.WDelft. Lunch was on a barge boat on one of the many canals that run through the city.

Today we are in Leiden, home to the Pilgrim Museum which we will visit this afternoon. Our next days will take us out to the coast and up along the North Sea.

Some interesting thoughts about the Netherlands:



Parrots in our campground? Yep, who knew.

Scooters are allowed on the bike trail making things interesting. Good thing we have our mirrors.

We can't imagine how many bike there are here. Yesterday, we went through a round-about for bicycles. Busy, busy bike paths.

Roadies are the same everywhere. Much like racers vs cruisers

The grass is so soft it feels wonderful on our feet.

Flowers blooming everywhere. Beautiful vegetable gardens.

They have scanner at the grocery store for you to scan your groceries as you put them in your cart.

Fruits and veggies are cheap here. Meat very expensive.

It's about 20% more expensive here than in Germany.

Most folks go to the store by bike. The Ikea in Delft had 200 plus bikes outside. Yesterday, we saw a guy carrying a 4' childs pool on his bike.

Another kind of bike has a box in front of a bike that carries children.

People 80 plus years old are riding bikes and scooters.



More rambling later....


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb