Towards the Waddenzee


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Pilgrim Museum, Leiden, NLPilgrim Museum, Leiden, NLPilgrim Museum, Leiden, NL

Carlene with Dr. Jeremy Bangs
July 9th

Uithuizen (Outhousen), NL



We have traveled over 360 km since our last blog. The North Sea has been everything we thought it would be. The weather changes quickly here and it can be warm and sunny one day and the next be bitterly cold with howling wind.

In Leiden we visited the Pilgrim Museum and met the curator Jeremy Bangs. He had lots of interesting stories and we found it was worth the visit.

Our next stop was Driehuis. We had a great lunch along the way at a restaurant called “Sach”. It was decorated kind of old hippie French. Yummy burger and fries. On our way, we had help finding the campground from a man named John. He was so helpful and ended up almost taking us to the campground. Once at the there, we set up the tent and started to the market. But, much to our surprise John was there making sure we had arrived safely. He proceeded to give us directions to the market but again, he was there to show us the spot. He wanted to buy us a beer at the pub next door. We had a beer with him and he told us that he lived in NJ for a couple of years and how he loved Americans.

Petten gave us our first look at the North Sea. They are working on restoring the beach and stand and it was beautiful.

De Duinzoomhoeve campground was on the property of a bulb farmer. Jan & Mary were very nice and gave us a tour of their operation. It was a nice warm day, so we did laundry.

Next we headed for the island of Texel by ferry. The ride was 20 minutes and once there we were greeted by rain and we still had 25 km to ride. The rain was off and on and then the wind started howling. We nixed our plans for the original campground and stayed at a camping resort called Krim. It was huge with 1000 campsites, pool, restaurant etc. The next day we decided to forgo the rest of the island and head back to the mainland.

Our longest day yet, 87kms took us a crossed a 26km causeway/dike with 20-25 mph wind pushing us along. We kept passing other cyclists headed into the wind and were grateful that we were headed in the right direction.



Today is our first day off in seven days. The wind is still howling and we are looking forward to heading south.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb