Amsterdam Day 3: Maritime Museum, Beer and Sausage, and Seafood Dinner


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
September 25th 2017
Published: September 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Another glorious day. Weather perfect, early start, off to the markets, amazing designer labels for very reasonable prices (authentic, trust me!!). Found a corner shop with the most incredible cheese and bakery selection - cholesterol nightmare!!

Went to the Maritime Museum. In my opinion (and whilst admitting I might be biased), an absolute must see. Impressive building which used to be the Admiralty Arsenal. The whole place a reminder of what great seafarers the Dutch have been for many centuries. They were streets ahead of every other nation in map making. On display was a set of nine volumes of maps covering the whole globe, produced in 1595 - priceless!!. A feature item was the, now unused, Royal Barge - ornate to the extreme.

Jenny suffered museum overload and bailed out after an hour or two and went off to write postcards to the Grandkids.

On the way home we happened across an authentic Dutch windmill which, beyond all expectations, is now a designer beer house. We shared a beer tasting plate topped off with some raw smoked Ox Sausage. (We've died and gone to heaven!!)

Dinner tonight was a seafood restaurant recommended by our hosts. (My apologies if you've noticed that most of my blogs describe where we've gone to eat and what we've eaten when we got there!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



26th September 2017

Good times
It looks like you are having a great time! Thanks for the interesting posts and pics. The Dutch seafaring has also been a topic of discussion here at Shark Bay, looking at displays in tourist information.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb