Amsterdam Day 2 - Push bikes, Culture and renewed friendships


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
September 24th 2017
Published: September 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Jenny and ClaudiaJenny and ClaudiaJenny and Claudia

They haven't changed a bit!!
After walking our legs off yesterday (12km), we got our priorities right today and hired bikes for the remainder of our time in Amsterdam. And what a blessing they have been!! What a great way to get around.

We spent about 3 hours in the Rijksmuseum and were in awe at the amazing number of old masters they have there. Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Matisse, to name but a few. The building we are staying in is known as the Silk Merchants Palace and has a very ornate white marble entrance hall. Two paintings by Gerard de Lairesse (1641-1711) commissioned by the Silk Merchant, Philip de Flines, are now hanging in the Rijksmuseum. They are amazing works about 2.5m x 1.2m and done in a style which makes them appear three dimensional. See attached.

After the museum we went for a lovely ride through a large park, Vondelpark - a little like Centennial Park in Sydney, with lakes and open areas, playgrounds and restaurants.

Tonight was a special treat. We met up with Claudia Hooykaas, Jenny's room-mate from Videmanette (Swiss Finishing School) days. This was the first time they had seen each other in 44 years!!! She is a
Lairesse ArtworkLairesse ArtworkLairesse Artwork

It is difficult to believe they are not 3D
lovely lady and, after drinks and sharing photo albums at her home, we rode to a nearby restaurant and continued filling in the many intervening years. A great night!! Let's hope it is not 44 years before we catch up again.

Claudia works at the National Opera and Ballet Theatre so we are off to the Ballet on Tuesday evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb